The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exclude mp3 files from backups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drose25, Aug 21, 2006.

1. drose25

drose25 Well-Known Member

Is there any way to exclude mp3 files, or other files like .avi, .mov, etc. from the nightly backups? I have several clients who are independent music producers who keep a ton of these files on their sites, which has started to kill the backups both in terms of run-time and disk space needed on the backup drive. They're cool with not having those files backed up, since they have copies locally, or with not having their sites backed up at all, but I'd rather not exclude them from backup entirely.

Any suggestions on how to implement this? Or is there a way to backup selected accounts on only a weekly or monthly basis?

Thanks,

Dale

2. pross

pross Well-Known Member

I know you can exclude files with rsync but where to add this to the cpanel rsync scripts i dont know

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You cannot do this with cPanel through WHM. You'd have to hack a copy of /scripts/cpbackup and code it yourself and then run that instead of cpbackup.

4. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

this would be interesting to be added as an integrated feature of cpanel.