Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

excluding emails from whm backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by rudtek, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rudtek

rudtek Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all. My backups are starting to take a long time and because of it my server keeps going into a power state 4. I'm trying to reduce the time and space so was hoping to exclude emails of my larger clients from my backups.

I added these lines to my cpbackup-exclude.conf

mail/*/*/cur/*
    mail/*/*/new/*
    mail/*/*/tmp/*
    mail/*/*/.Drafts/
    mail/*/*/.Junk/
    mail/*/*/.Sent/
    mail/*/*/.Trash/

I want to make sure that I'm doing it right. The current, new and tmp directories have mail items directly, but the hidden directories (draft, junk sent and trash) have additional directories in them. I'd like too keep the structure as much as possible, but will this work or am I missing something?

I have it set now as above, but my backup won't happen until tonight and I don't want to wait a whole other day to see if I did it right, that's why I'm asking the question instead of just testing it out.

Thanks for your help!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rudtek

rudtek Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks!

from this page: How to Exclude Files From Backups - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

(how to exclude from backups) it says that I need the trailing slash. So now i'm not sure...

Example
    For example, to exclude the /home/username/example/ directory and the /home/username/dir/example.php file from the username user's backups, create the following /home/username/cpbackup-exclude.conf file:

example/
    dir/example.php
    Important:

When you exclude a directory path, you must include the trailing slash.

ALSO, When does the mailbox conversion happen? is it automatic or by choice?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @rudtek,

Actually, the documentation is correct. I've edited the previous response to remove the part about the trailing slash.

Mailbox conversions to the mdbox format are only performed manually at this time.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...