The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim acting strange

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n2nis, Jun 22, 2006.

1. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Since early yesterday exim has stopped processing mail without warning. No crash or any error generation at all. I haven't timed it to see what the interval is but if you restart exim it will deliver/send mail and life is good. Then it just stops (don't know time frame could be 5,10,30,60 minutes). Again no error generation whm reports it is ok just no mail is processed. Another thing I noticed is when it does work I will get emails with various dates that have to be wrong some are in the future a (a few days) and some are in the past. Upper level techs are working on it but can't seem to find the problem :confused: (and they are a great team of techs just stumped on this one) . If anyone here has any ideas it would be greatly appeciated.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Since you said, 'Upper level techs are working on it but can't seem to find the problem (and they are a great team of techs just stumped on this one)'. Did you check on your server clock? Is it accurate and working properly?

As you may know, some software requires events to occur in sequence. Lets say it bases that sequence on timestamps. Now when your clock is "reset" to the right time, the clock moves backwards. The software thinks it is a quarter second earlier than it used to be, and the ordering of events gets screwed up. This could have very minor effects, or the program could fail. People may have experienced crashes or frozen programs including Exim due to this and never known why. If your server clock is behaving and works, then you'll have to seek professional help for a second opinion.

3. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

Thanks for the replay Andy,
    Just checked the clock as you said it and it appears to be correct. That is what has me troubled is there is no errors and it appears to be working correctly.

And just to clarify it isn't all mail just a few here and there. Is it possible spammers can now monkey with the time exim is displaying?

Thanks again for the advice much appreciated