The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim again (mail from php forms) :(

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jamesbond, Apr 17, 2003.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

This morning I noticed my server is having problems with e-mail from php forms once again.

The e-mail from php forms are bounced with the following error:

2003-04-17 07:55:23 1964Et-0000me-00 ** user@domain.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after LHLO host.myserver.com: mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.253.99]: 500 Unrecognized command

Where does this LHLO command come from in the first place? I thought that LHLO is used for local mail.

I downgraded with /scripts/newexim and it started working again...then upgraded again with /scripts/upcp and it started giving the same errors again...

Does anyone know what causes these errors...it seems that the newer exim versions are not working as stable as they should (at least on my server!)

Anyone else having this problem?

To check you can do a grep :
    cat /var/log/exim_mainlog | grep LHLO

#1 jamesbond, Apr 17, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
  2. tohi

tohi Member

Errors with mail() PHP function have been reported so many times on this forum that I find it impossible to believe that nobody at DarkOrb is working on it! My mail function hasn't been working for the past 3 weeks despite the fact that I tried everything I read on this board and other forums as well. When will Cpanel fix this problem??

tohi

3. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Yes nothing but trouble when exim has to send mail from user 'nobody'

Just when I thought things were working again this morning it starts with this LHLO error.

The version (exim-3.36-101) that is installed by /scripts/newexim doesn't give this error, so there must be something different with the newest exim.

The past month has been horrible with all these problems popping up continiously.

4. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

Yep , it's a problem that should be solved .

5. wacnstac

wacnstac Well-Known Member

Yeap, I'm having the same problem.

6. Jontxu40

Jontxu40 Well-Known Member

Same here

Same problem ...

2003-04-30 02:11:00 19AfBY-0004eV-00 ** xxxxxx@hotmail.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error fromremote mailer after LHLO xxxx.domain_changed.com: host mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.253.99]: 500 Unrecognized command

Any ideas ? :confused:

7. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

I have phpsuexec installed on all my servers and still getting the UNROUTABLE MAIL DOMAIN ERROR. Worst yet, my users are getting the bounced msgs now, return path user@domain.com and they want to know why.

8. Jontxu40

Jontxu40 Well-Known Member

LHLO and Exim

It seems the problem is intermittent . For my server day 19 and today ( day 30 ).

The question is ... ¿ Why exim use "LHLO" instead "EHLO" ?

Some servers respond "500 Unrecognized command" or "501 Unknown command" to LHLO ...

LHLO is not ESMTP command . Is LMTP command ... and I supposse is the problem with other email server running SMTP protocol

The big question ...

¿When EXIM use ESMTP and LMTP ?
    ¿Why sometimes EXIM use EHLO and other times LHLO ?

:confused:

9. howard

howard Well-Known Member

Do you have a file called /etc/webspam ? that can help exim.pl to return a no which can cause a unroutable mail domain error (beside wasn't returning bounces to your users what you were wanting a while back?)

10. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Nope, i delete that file a long time ago. I have tried everthing. I even went back to v101 instead of 140. I have tried every directive in exim.conf. I have checked my dns all works. If i uncheck Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.) then this problem goes away but i have phpsuexec installed;

Server Version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Chili!Soft-ASP/3.6.2 mod_bwprotect/0.2 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.3.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP-CGI/0.1b and still get it. I have tried just about everthing, even submitted TT to DarkOrb, no reply from them.

So whats the trick? I can dig my hostname from my ohter servers and search my hostname from dnsstuff.com and all the proper DNS records are in place and resolving. So why do i still see

sscamaro387@aol.com
    unrouteable mail domain "aol.com"

I am beside my self. I just dont get this. I select option 6 during compile. Whats the difference between option 2 and option 6? Nothing. If you select option 6 you have to select phpsuexec to install it and as you can see i have from my stats above. So what else is left?

11. rumonet

rumonet Member

dammm

I'm having the same problem.

12. tohi

tohi Member

Hmmmm... Strange....

I just recompiled Apache using easyapache including both curl and curl-ssl (and suexec which was included by default) and suddently, I can send mail through PHP!! You ask me what does curl has to do with that and I will tell you I have no idea!

tohi

13. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Having the same problem here. Hope that cpanel are working on a solution.

John

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

14. sitehostz

sitehostz Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have the limits set for outgoing mail under the tweak settings? We are having email problems now as well with one server. A client tried sending email to thier list of 350+ but only the first 25 sent out.

There was a limit to 25 emails per hour but the client did get back 325 unroutable domain errors.. We have removed the limits but there are still problems..

And just out of curiosity, Every php script that I have seen sends email through sendmail.... What would exim have to do with it?

Thanks
    Chris

15. FusionBiz

FusionBiz Member

any solutions :confused: please advise

16. hoobastank68

hoobastank68 Active Member

The problem can be caused by Tweak Settings in WHM

Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.) was probably enabled thats why :)

17. FusionBiz

FusionBiz Member

great :)

18. equivity

equivity Well-Known Member

I think this is the problem I am having, anyone got this solved yet?

19. equivity

equivity Well-Known Member

My servive provider just did a exim update on my server that seemed to solve the problem.

20. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Why not use phpsuexec. We started doing that long ago and never regretted it. Everything has been better since then and only a few accounts using old or poorly written php scripts experienced problems.

John