The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim and mails from Microsoft passport

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by princo, May 10, 2005.

1. princo

princo Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm using Cpanel with exim. Many of my users complain that they don't receive verification email when they sign up for MS passport service. I checked exim_mainlog and see this:

2005-05-09 16:30:40 1DV9HM-0005zf-GC H=(servera01.cpsmtpout4.msn.com) [207.46.132.135] F=<PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> rejected after DATA: syntax error in 'From:' header when scanning for sender: malformed address: <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> may not follow "Microsoft .NET Passport" <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> in ""Microsoft .NET
    Passport" <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET>"
    2005-05-09 16:30:40 1DV9HM-0005zg-RH H=(servera04.cpsmtpout4.msn.com) [207.46.132.147] F=<PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> rejected after DATA: syntax error in 'From:' header when scanning for sender: malformed address: <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> may not follow "Microsoft .NET Passport" <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> in ""Microsoft .NET
    Passport" <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET> <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET>"

So exim rejects bad email, but i see other services like free @myway.com receives it like:
    From: Microsoft .NET Passport <PPMSVCMG@PASSPORT.NET>, <UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR.>

Apparently there's something bad in message from MS Passport, but does anyone know a way how to make exim accept it?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Nothing you can do if they're sending RFC non-compliant email address headers. Unless it's an exim bug, in which case you'll need to discuss it on the exim mailing list over at exim.org

3. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I have trouble with clients not receiving that verification email on a variety of systems, not just Exim. I have two right now that can't get the email on Verizon DSL. Something is clearly wrong, but this the first real evidence I have seen to suggest what.

David

4. princo

princo Well-Known Member

It's clearly a Microsoft problem, they send bad headers. I know of some other free email system that do not receive message from their passport service. I think this could be for purpose, to make users open email account at hotmail.com ...who knows...

5. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Princo,

I have a good friend at MS who said he will take this information to the department that deals with the software that sends these out. I have to believe it's a pain to them as well. If you have any more info, logs, etc, either post it here or PM me and I'll send it along. I have two local clients right now that can't receive this blasted verify email :(. It's a little thing but then it should be easily fixed too.

David

6. princo

princo Well-Known Member

Also some other system do not recognize their emails. Apparently they're using RFC1870 which Exim doesn't understand yet. It's some expanded header protocol...
    So after all it might not be all their mistake...

#6 princo, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 13, 2005
  7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, it is definitely their mistake. I just read through that RFC and their server should be determining whether the recipient server supports the extended protocol (it doesn't extend the headers it extends the SMTP protocol), it isn't which is a bug with their sending server. Sicne there's no requirement to implement the RFC the problem lies fairly and squarely with Microsoft, nothing to do with Exim.