The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim and vanishing local emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by beddo, Mar 30, 2007.

1. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2007
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Pretty major problem and I can imagine it being a really simple fix, but I just can't find it!

I'm running:

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-S7965
    FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE i386 - WHM X v3.1.0

One problem we have had since the server was recently built was local root emails. Every night, FreeBSD generates some security info which is sent to root. If I redirect root to some email address not hosted on the server, mail gets sent out. If I redirect root to an email address that is hosted on the server however it just vanishes wether it be direct to a user mailbox or address to a domain hosted by cpanel.

That's all I thought it was so I just left it however now apparently its not so simple!

Mails from anything on the local server aren't getting delivered. That means people running a shop on domain.tld with email notification of orders don't get the email notifications! Local contact us scripts vanish too and there's absolutely nothing in any of the exim logs about it. The only thing I can find is some bounce messages for one domain.

The original message was generated by a contact us page which does set the recipient address correctly, but somewhere along the lines it must be vanishing so it is failing and being dropped to the unix mailbox of the account being used to send the mail.

Return-path: <>
    Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:35:52 +0100
    Received: from mailnull by with local (Exim 4.66 (FreeBSD))
            id 1HXESW-000ALd-9s
            for; Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:35:52 +0100
    Auto-Submitted: auto-replied
    Subject: Mail failure - no recipient addresses
    Message-Id: <>
    Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:35:52 +0100
    A message that you sent contained no recipient addresses, and therefore no
    delivery could be attempted.
    ------ This is a copy of your message, including all the headers. ------
    Subject: General Enquiry Enquiry from Website Name
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Mailer: osCommerce Mailer