The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim broken. Errors in exim_panic I have not seen before.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sqsisa, Jul 11, 2003.

1. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Exim is running and mail can be sent but is not delivered. It is getting dumped!!

These are the last couple of lines from the exim_paniclog and exim_mainlog:

2003-07-11 23:22:40 19bAy8-0000yk-St failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

2003-07-11 23:22:40 19bAy8-0000yk-St failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver called.

2003-07-11 23:22:40 19bAy8-0000yk-St failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.

And this is from maillog:

Jul 12 00:05:10 cpanel exim[28011]: [1\2] 2003-07-12 00:05:10 19bBdG-0007Hf-B0 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.
    Jul 12 00:05:10 cpanel exim[28011]: [2/2]

Can anyone help me out with this? Please.........

#1 sqsisa, Jul 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

It may be because you're using a different version of the exim.conf than you're actually running (you're still using the one I gave you, right?). Try upgrading exim.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

I am running exim 4. You sent me exim.pl

Thanks

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah.:)
    Still, though, there have been tons of exim builds lately. Have you tried running the upgrade script just to see?

5. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Yeah,

Thanks Casey!

When I run /scripts/exim4 it deletes exim.conf and exim.pl and does not replace them! Ouch! It's what toasted me the first time. I don't know what the heck is up with it. I put in ticket to the sys admin.

How has your service been with Ateju? They have nice prices for dedicated. By the way I love your "I didn't know; I swear!" The story of my life with cPanel and Linux.

You are a sweetheart!

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

It deletes exim.conf and exim.pl? That can't be normal?!?! Yeah, that definitely deserves a ticket. Wow. Good luck with that.

Atjeu has been great. Their support is phenomenal. Most of the support requests I have put in have been answered in under 5 minutes!! Their support for dedicated server customers is better than any webhost I ever had.

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You probably have something that exim uses chattr +i and it cannot install properly.

8. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

You will have to forgive my ignorance Nick, but I don't understand where to start looking. When I upgraded to Exim 4 it removed the files and did not replace them. I got some help and got the files restored. It worked fine. Then I ran /scripts/mailman212. Same problem missing exim.pl and exim.conf , but this time I had the backups to restore them. I am am still recieving the errors above.

I know you are hella busy, but any insite would be helpful. Like what and where do I look for files that are chattr +i and what will tell me this under ssh? If I do ls -l what am I looking for?

WHM 7.2.0 cPanel 7.2.0-R18
    RedHat 7.3 - WHM X v2.1
    Exim 4

9. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, if you have files that are chattr +i, I think that you can do chattr -i on the directory and that will "unchattr" them. This is just a guess, but if that doesn't work, try chattr -i exim_or_whatever_its_called/* from the parent directory of exim.

Of course, that's assuming that chattr is your problem, and I don't know.:)

10. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

a couple notes on this.

yes running /scripts/newexim did actually remove some files needed by exim on one of our servers.

Make sure you reboot bind/named

then run /scripts/updatenow

then upgrade to latest version of cpanel in WHM

we ran to a stable release

you should find that gets exim back working

if not you may have to run /scripts/newexim

or /scripts/exim4

About Atjeu

as a Datacenter they go beyond what we have seen anywhere in

support
    service
    uptime
    pricing is excellent but when looking after hundreds of clients on servers pricing should not be a first priority.

Highly recomended.

11. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

No go. The sys admin was taking too long so I got brave and got the rpm of exim 4.20 and ran it. Reconfigured exim and got it going after 2 days of being down. Everytime a 7.*.* build runs the samething happens. I have the auto update off now, and I am afraid to turn it back on.

Nick left me a cryptic message,
    I don't know what to look for and I can't seem to get any answers. :mad:

I want to wait until CP 7 is a Stable build, but I am still parinoid about turning the updats back on.

12. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

OK let me explain..

if you chattr +i say, exim.conf. Exim update WILL not update. It'll try to do its stuff, and then not work.

If you chattr -i any files u find that are related to exim, it may work better. It did it to me once , and i realized I chattr +i'ed my exim.conf to avoid it being overwritten.

Once I did the -i (+i adds a DO NOT DELETE bit) exim update ran happily.

That's the whole point of what Nick was trying to say. I am at the latest build with no problems.. -- E40. Try looking at your exim.conf.

do:

lsattr /etc/exim.conf

will list all the special attributes assigned to exim.conf file. If it shows ---------- no special attributes have been added i.e. chattr +i which would have shown up something like this:

------i----

Brenden

13. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

WooT!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for!!! ;)

14. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Ugggg! Except this is what I get:

root@cpanel [/etc]# lsattr /etc/exim.conf
    lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /etc/exim.conf

What he heck does that one mean? IO Control? :confused:

15. hostcp3

hostcp3 Well-Known Member

Dan

have you still no exim even now running?

if so can you

cd /etc

cp exim.conf exim.conf_backup

if you can do that then prob that files attributes are fine, I would then just copy that file and the others you have had go missing in the past to filename_backup and then run

/scripts/newexim

16. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

No I got it to work. I got exim 4.20 in rpm and installed it from the shell. Then put the backup exim.conf back in place so I did not have to customize it again.

I have it running now but I am afraid to turn the updates back I am afraid to turn the updates back on.

If I run /scripts/exim4 first I get:
    file /usr/sbin/exim_fixdb from install of exim-4.20-180_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite conflicts with file from package cpanel71-1.0-4.swsoft
    file /usr/sbin/exim_lock from install of exim-4.20-180_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite conflicts with file from package cpanel71-1.0-4.swsoft
    SNIP
    file /usr/sbin/exiqsumm from install of exim-4.20-180_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite conflicts with file from package cpanel71-1.0-4.swsoft
    file /usr/sbin/exiwhat from install of exim-4.20-180_cpanel_stmpcontrol_antivirus_rewrite conflicts with file from package cpanel71-1.0-4.swsoft

Continued in next reply........................

17. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Continued
    And poof /etc/exim.pl, exim.conf and except are gone. Then if you use a backup of exim.pl and exim.conf to restore, then you get the errors in exim_paniclog and exim_mainlog:

2003-07-11 23:22:40 19bAy8-0000yk-St failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

2003-07-11 23:22:40 19bAy8-0000yk-St failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop
    router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.

And this is from maillog:

Jul 12 00:05:10 cpanel exim[28011]: [1\2] 2003-07-12 00:05:10 19bBdG-0007Hf-B0 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop
    router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.
    Jul 12 00:05:10 cpanel exim[28011]: [2/2]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

18. hshan

hshan Registered

sqsisa, I'm following this thread , as I'm having the same issue. I'm guessing that you are on a ve also? What have you found to resolve this issue? Information appreciated! Thanks.

19. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Do you mean a VPS? Yes this box is a VPS.

The only thing I have found that you can do is install exim 4 from an rpm and run the cPanel clam/amavis. Then run a fix exim script. Then do fixperms.

I got it to work but I have concluded that if /scripts/exim4 runs the same problem will occur. Nick said to make sure the files and folders are chattr -i, but I get Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on /etc/exim.conf

This has to have something to do with the VPS. The disk and base os done not belong to you or something. So if it is a chattr problem then there is nothing I know to do.

If you fix it and stay with versions of cPanel that are exim 4 it will work. Just hope that one of the updates does not run the exim4 script or you are back to the beginning of the nightmare.

I would be happy to send or post the exim and clamav files but the entire VPS went down two days ago. And they do not have an eta for it being back on line. VPS sucks. If you want to try this fix, message me in a day or so. Hopefully the effing VPS will be back up. So I can get my shit off it and put it on the new dedicated I got.