The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim.conf and cPanel 11.28 upgrade issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MaraBlue, Nov 21, 2010.

1. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

May 3, 2005
    Carmichael, CA
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    During the last two cPanel upgrades (on RELEASE, 11.28) there's been a problem with merging the exim.conf:

cPanel was unable to automatically merge your Exim configuration with the new settings that shipped with the build you have installed
    Is this a bug or has something changed? Is this going to happen with each and every cPanel upgrade from here on?

When I upgraded to 11.28.35-RELEASE_50509 whatever changed with Exim caused no RBL filtering to be done by Exim, and the spam floodgates were basically opened.

Oddly enough I never got the [mailconfigupdate] email then, until Nov. 16th when I restarted Exim in an attempt to troubleshoot why the server's spam filters weren't working. I can't imagine that Exim wasn't restarted during the cPanel upgrade, when exim.conf was changed and/or couldn't be merged?

I use MailScanner but have Exim set to filter based on RBL first. I thought whatever happened then was a fluke, as this is the same exim.conf I've used for years, and never had a problem with cPanel upgrades.

Just now I upgraded to 11.28.45-RELEASE_50618, and same issue. Thankfully I was ready for it this time.

Anyone else seeing this? Is this intended behavior, a bug, or just our server?