The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim.conf.local help

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Echelon17, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Echelon17

Echelon17 Well-Known Member

We're using an external SMTP server to send mail via cPanel and have this setup and working perfectly. The problem is we need to make a small change to the exim.conf file and add the following line to the virtual_aliases_nostar section:

headers_add = "X-MC-Forward: $original_local_part@$original_domain\n"

The problem with this, of course, is that every time Exim gets updated or rebuilt this change is lost and we have to add it again manually.

I see that cPanel makes use of the exim.conf.local file to save settings which can be imported again during rebuild, however I'm not sure how (or even if) the above line can be added to this file to be incorporated on each rebuild.

There is a "PREVALIASNOSTAR" section but to me that seems to imply content you want added BEFORE this section, not a replacement or addition to this setting. Does anyone have any ideas that could help? Thanks in advance.

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'd suggest you use the WHM Exim Configuration Manager in advanced mode to make your changes, then save. This will automatically update the exim.conf.local file.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

If you prefer to use the "exim.conf.local" file, then you could simply add the entire "virtual_aliases_nostar" entry to this file, and then rebuild the Exim configuration via:

Code:
    /scripts/buildeximconf
    Thank you.

4. Echelon17

Thanks for your response (I love your site by the way, it's been very helpful over the years!). I guess my next question would be in which section would we add this code? None seem specific to this section of the exim.conf file.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Michael. In which section (if any) would we add this to? I notice the file is split up into sub sections using @HEADER@ references, so where would we put our virtual_aliases_nostar section?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The file is empty by default, so you would simply enter the entire "virtual_aliases_nostar" entry as it appears in exim.conf (but with your custom changes) and then save the file.

Thank you.

6. Echelon17

Just to add to this, there doesn't appear to be a /scripts/rebuildeximconf.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so I figured out you probably meant /scripts/buildeximconf instead of /scripts/rebuildeximconf. The problem is this isn't working for me and is now throwing up the following error:

I'm trying to add the following code to the bottom of the exim.conf.local file:

The bolded line above is the line I'm attempting to add to the default configuration.

7. Echelon17

Still looking for help with this. Any ideas please?