The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim.conf/Mail Queue Clarification

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by picoleto, Feb 27, 2007.

1. picoleto

picoleto Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I have done by best to do try to research the subject as thorough as possible before writing this post. I was currently have difficulties with my mail queues sometimes reaching over 10K. After reading several helpful articles/posts here I realized that the default exim.conf that cPanel provides needed some editing so I added the following lines to through WHM.

deliver_queue_load_max = 4
    ignore_bounce_errors_after = 12h
    timeout_frozen_after = 4d
    auto_thaw =

This kept my queue running around the 3K mark, which is a step in the right direction, so I've even lowererd my timeout to 2d now.

I have "Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders" and "Verify the existence of email senders" selected in WHM. I do currently realize that I should probably have the option to reject mail for user that reached their quotas, however I have found that most customers are oblivious to anything you try to educate them on so it's easier just to keep the mail in the queue.

Is it a good practice to actually change the retry time in the exim.conf? If so does someone have a good example of what to change it to? My main concern is of course getting blacklisted from servers if I set the retry time too low.

As a side question, is the q60m changeable in the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config file or is that more tied in with the retry time in the exim.conf file?

From everything I've read here it seems that anything above 1K is not normal so I am striving to trying to keep my mail queues down to a minimum.