The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim configuration miss-management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariskhan, Jan 11, 2007.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Hello,

Questions raise in my mind, after looking in detail at exim's configuration file.

1) cPanel has still implemented in parts, the exim 3 configuration with a mix of exim 4 config. Why?

2) cPanel still includes the antivirus.exim file, which is actually system_filter.exim file. This file is old. The exim community says its obselete and advises not to use this file at all.

3) acl_smtp_mime is not used for content filtering, for example blocking specific extensions which come as attachments with incomming email.

etc etc..

When will cpanel convert the exim config to complete exim version 4.x?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You're asking in the wrong place - if you want to address these questions to cPanel then you need to contact them directly and log an entry in bugzilla.

3. hariskhan

Hello,

Further questions raised;

4) dspam is not an option for filtering spam

5) The option of using public dns lists for curbing spam has not been explored?

6) The potential for sa-blacklist project has not been tapped. Its not available as an option for curbing spam with spamassassin.

7) On every cpanel update (every time /scripts/upcp runs) my maildir config in exim gets washed to the default unix mbox format.

I have to MANUALLY! run /scripts/upcp --force to force! cpanel to auto-heal itself causing/making it to revert back to maildir format.

What THIS! means on live production servers is .. that email service is disturbed every single time the update process runs, at least for many hours when someone is not around to manually make cpanel fix it. Emails are in fact being received, but customers can't see it. If they can't see it, they start complaining about the service.

cpanel stores information about what mailbox format a server is using in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config.

Why doesn't cpanel USE that information when an update cycle runs?

Why do we have to go through the embarracement of service downtime? Its disturbing for us when customers notice the email service went down, just because a cpanel update cycle was running.

8) Everytime the cpanel update cycle runs, the squirrelmail configuration get's over-written.

What THIS! means is that all the plugins configured for squirrelmail before the update get washed. So, if we were providing our customers with the following common plugins (other than the cpanel default auth plugin);

1) filters
    2) unsafe_image_rules
    3) calendar
    4) view_as_html

that will all be wiped and we'd have to patch the system all over once the it was done.

etc etc..

I think most servers having cpanel are running versions of exim that are at least 4.5 and above (I myself am using at this time exim 4.66 on my production servers). When does cpanel plan to upgrade exim's config to completelt exim version 4.x specification?

4. hariskhan

bugzilla hit with the enhancement/bug-fix request

I have posted all the mentioned issues above in the bugzilla ticket;

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5076

I hope they will look at it before I have more angry customers. :mad: :eek: