The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim: correct setup to verify recipient?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Jan 31, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm not sure how to configure Exim to verify the recipient correctly and I was hoping someone could help.

The only changes I've made to the Exim config are to the ACL section and are those listed in a tutorial on the matter at: http://www.webhostgear.com/175.html - its actually the corrected section of code in one of the comments at the bottom of the article.

In the ACL section of the WHM Exim Configuration editor, just after "accept hosts = :" I have (minus the comments)

Code:
    accept domains = +local_domains
    endpass
    message = unknown user
    verify = recipient
    local_parts = postmaster:abuse
    and then some more code which doesn't yet seem to relevant to the problem.

With the above snippet in place, all mail gets returned to the sender with the reason:

"host example.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 550 unknown user"

This even happens for valid recipients! With respect to the above lines of Exim config, if I comment out the middle 3 lines then all mail gets delivered correctly, including mail addressed to invalid recipients.

Further down in the ACL section, there are the following lines that were in the Exim config as default and were not lines I added myself:

Code:
      #recipient verifications are required for all messages that are not sent to the local machine
      #this was done at multiple users requests

message = "The recipient cannot be verified.  Please check all recipients of this message to verify they are valid."
      verify = recipient
    Now these lines look to me like they should be rejecting mail that is not addressed to a valid recipient, yet they seem to do nothing of the sort!

Of course I may have my understanding of a valid recipient confused (I'm not that experienced, so its possible). To me, a valid recipient is one for whom a mail account has been set up on the server. Is this correct?

I would then think that the second snippet of lines should reject mail if not addressed to a valid mail account. This doesn't appear to be happening.

Has anyone any ideas as to how I should do this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's something else amiss as the verify = recipient definitely does reject email where there is no valid recipient. However, you must have the Default Address (catchall) for the domain set to :fail: for it to work. Using :blackhole: or forwarding the Default Address to an email address will accept all email for the domain.

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Thanks Chirpy - one more little detail I now know that will definitely help me out!