The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim delaying emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by typhon, Dec 6, 2004.

1. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

this issue is quite weird.

I can not receive or send emails from the sever. Nothing ends up in any mailbox. When I look at the stats it is delaying all of the emails. Still nothing is delivered. It is just like sending to a blackhole. No notification is sent back to the sender and no email is ever sent to the email account.

I am running the clamavconnector. This issue started happening after I upgraded to the CURRENT 169 Build for linux. I've searched the forums for anything that may be useful and tried pretty much all of it. Still nothing.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What do your logs show for an SMTP connection? If you're running on Linux, type the following:

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog

Then send an email to a user on the server and note the relevant messages.

3. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

no errors.

simply got:
    Code:
    2004-12-06 09:50:06 1CbL7m-0005bi-7Z <= mike@domain.com H=([ip]) [ip] P=esmtpsa X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256 A=fixed_plain:digitals S=587 id=41B47FBF.6000604@domain.com
    other than that above it is just routing defer (-51): retry time not reached on all the other messages in there.

#3 typhon, Dec 6, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  4. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

5. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Same Problem

I had this problem when I checked in this morning.
    After much head scratching I decided my first prioity was to get the mail moving again.
    So I removed clamavconnector from within WHM/Addon Modules by unchecking it then selecting save.
    At then end of the uninstall there was an Exim restart performed. (Clue here).
    I started to send email to the known faulty boxes which now appeared to be working again.
    I Breathed a sigh of relief and set about searching for some answers as to why this would happen.
    After spending all day in the forums and bogging down Google with my searching I was no closer to any answers.
    So I just re-installed clamavconnector and again it restarted Exim at the concluson.
    No problems evident, all mail getting through again.
    So, if this happens to you I would first try (Clue here) restarting Exim. Maybe stopping it first then effecting a restart. Then you could try removing clamavconnector, then re-loading like I did above.
    Other than that, I came up with no clues from the log files and the web.
    HTH

Edit:
    My problem was not related to MailScanner and the split_spool_directory. I don't have MailScanner installed. I read most of the topics related to this issue during my hunt for reasons this morning. I checked the spool directories and found no problems on that score.
    The clue that lead me to remove clamavconnector was in the exim_rejectlog:
    ...temporarily rejected after DATA
    This was at the end of one of my test emails that went missing and was at the end of all the emails that failed to show up in the inboxes.
    Not total confident that this was indeed the clue as the restart of exim seemed to fix things.

#5 Izzee, Dec 9, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Member

same problem, got fixed

hey there
    i had the same problem, went to addon 3rd party modules
    installed clamav from there, it restarted exim things started working ok

howerver i have 26mb of mail id the a-z sub dirs which i dont know how to process, if anyone has ideas on that, id appreciate input

thanks

dhruv

7. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Take a look at the thread mentioned above. Chirpy posted a nice little script to move the mails into the right location.