The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim email problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by longtex, Nov 15, 2003.

1. longtex

longtex Member

Email client gets error trying to log in to check mail; webmail works.

Top-level usernames work - that is, the "owner" of the domains as created in WHM; the user names added on in cpanel for the domains work for webmail but not for remote clients.

Error returned is ERR: Username/Password Mismatch perhaps xxxxx@yourdomain.com?

This actually uses "yourdomain.com" and not the actual domain name. For example, checking mail for midas@miser.com gives "ERR: Username/Password Mismatch perhaps midas@ourdomain.com"

Something is set up wrong... but what? Where to look?

It's WHM/cPanel 8.5.1-R2, with exitm 4.24-30

2. longtex

longtex Member

Solution: the email user (login) name is midas+miser.com or midas@miser.com, and not just midas - as has been the case with all the others I've used... I don't know if thiws is peculiar to exim, or cpanel, or some setup issue on the server, or what... but it works!

3. longtex

longtex Member

Something (cpanel? exim? virtual host setup?) requirrs that the user login be name+domain.com (or name@domain.com) and not just name. So instead of a login name of "midas", you use "midas+miser.com" and everybody's happy... it probably also takes "mida@miser.com" - at least, my RH9 server does.