The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim filter log file ownership keeps changing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by troubleshooter, Jun 11, 2011.

1. troubleshooter

Hi,

Over the past couple of months, I have had repeated problems with the exim filter giving me "Error in system filter: failed to open filter log file "/var/log/exim_filterlog": Permission denied (euid=8 egid=32011)" messages resulting in mail stacking up in my queue. Each time, I have looked at the permissions on the log file and then chowned thelog file to the user:group contained in the error message. Then the filter works. I also changed the logrotate.d/exim.conf file to reflect the new permissions lest I be caught out when the logs rotate.

What is confusing is that the ownership of the log file keeps changing. The first time I had a problem, the file ownership had to be changed to cpaneleximfilter:cpaneleximfilter. The second time I had a problem, the file ownership had to be changed to mailnull:mail. This time, the ownership had to be changed to mail:cpaneleximfilter.

I've read the forum posts relating to the permissions issue but haven't been able to find one that talks about the changing file ownership. Can anyone shed any light on why the ownership of the log file keeps changing?

Thanks for any insight.

Terry