The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim header manipulation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpiritAu, Jan 16, 2005.

1. SpiritAu

SpiritAu Active Member

Say you have a server where you want to remove the first SMTP transaction (i.e your internet IP address) from the header so bascally the only headers in SMTP relay are the server's transaction talking to the remote server.

Basically I want it to look like it came from the local server and NOT include the end users IP

Make sence? ANyone know how to do it?

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I always send my outgoing mail by sending it over an ssh tunnel... so I ssh into the server, and putty is configured to tunnel local port 25 on my machine over the ssh connection to the local port 25 on my server... which my spam filter proxy listens on, but the ip the mail is coming from is seen as local (127.0.0.1), so it's auto whitelisted and relayed on to exim on another local port. So the mail headers show 127.0.0.1 as the source and not my isp's IP.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, that's a fine way to do it. You should not do it in the MTA as that would be a violation of the SMTP protocol where each step in the delivery chain must be accounted for with a Received header line.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just thought that I'd dig this up (as others have requested this since) as I found a solution. Be aware that it may have unforseen consequences:

In WHM > Exim Configuration Editor > Advanced Mode > in the first textarea add:

received_header_text = ""

Exim will not not add a Received header to any emails, thus removing the line added for those using the server for SMTP sending.