centos
cPanel & WHM Version

zgrek20

Aug 28, 2020
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello
my exim keeps popping a "host lookup did not complete" error for some specific (2-3) domains.
I cannot figure out why.
The email is queued and SOMETIMES after at while it gets delivered..

This is a very strange behaviour.
What can i do for this?
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello there,

Is this for outbound messages on the machine? If so, it would be good to do some DNS checks from your server to the remote domain during the time when the "host lookup did not complete" error is happening. There could be an intermittent issue with the domains, or with your local resolvers, during those times when the issue is happening.

zgrek20

Aug 28, 2020
Greece
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello there,

Is this for outbound messages on the machine? If so, it would be good to do some DNS checks from your server to the remote domain during the time when the "host lookup did not complete" error is happening. There could be an intermittent issue with the domains, or with your local resolvers, during those times when the issue is happening.
Hello!
yes it only happens for outbound messages and only for very few recipient domains as i've mentioned before.
WHat dns checks do you propose and is there any proposed solution if indeed the domain is not resolved correctly ?

Thank you very much

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I would start with just a general "dig" of the domain with something like this:

Code:
dig domain.com
as that would show you if there is a problem with the lookups happening in general.

If that doesn't work, I would try adjusting your server's /etc/resolv.conf file using the details outlined here: How to edit resolver configuration in WHM or SSH

That will point your machine to the Google public resolvers. After that change you can try the test again to see if there is an improvement in the behavior.