The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim - How to *listen* on only one IP Address?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kai_h, Dec 5, 2012.

1. kai_h

kai_h Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, I've been searching the web for the past couple of hours and can't find an answer to something that I was hoping would be quite simple.

I want to bind Exim to just one IP address on my WHM server - not just for sending email from, but receiving email to.

I've found the directives whereby you can create a /etc/mailips file, add something like *:12.34.56.78 and enable one of the settings in Exim Configuration in WHM and then Exim will SEND from the specified IP.

What I need to do is change the IP address that Exim LISTENS on.

Why?
    On this server, bound to the IP on eth0, I am running Kerio Connect as our mail/contacts/calendars server. Kerio Connect provides SMTP/IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV etc. I'm not interested in a discussion as to anything that is better, this is how it is and it's not changing.

I want to host my client's emails for their web hosting packages that I'm hosting in WHM/cPanel on the same server.
    I therefore want Exim to listen to eth1 and only eth1 so that it, and Kerio Connect's SMTP service can co-exist happily.

I don't want to host my client's emails in Kerio Connect as they really just need basic POP mailboxes and I'm not wanting to absorb the cost, or on-charge the $30/yr or so that a Kerio Connect mailbox costs.

I've got Dovecot happily bound to the IP address on eth1, no worries.

Exim though, not so much. Even if I give in and make a band-aid fix by changing /etc/exim.conf - as soon as I fire up Exim, whatever changes I've made to this file (outside of WHM) gets wiped out.

Is there any way within WHM to change the IP address that Exim listens on?

2. chrisedwards

chrisedwards Member

I am also interested in knowing the best way to do this in Cpanel so it's not broken by WHM updates. I want Exim to only listen on the main shared IP + localhost.

The reason for this is that hotmail occasionally will try to send mail to A record instead of MX record. So my google apps domains sometimes have issues receiving mail from hotmail because hotmail is trying to send to Exim, which doesn't accept mail for that domain. So what I want to do is move those domains over to another shared IP that doesn't accept mail locally so hotmail is forced to look in the MX records.

3. kai_h

kai_h Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Kai_h

Appreciate your sharing the link with us, But i am a bit confused with the last part in that article
    We would appreciate if you could share us a sample of the "local_interfaces" string !!

Thank you for your understanding.

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You should do this in the advanced exim editor inside of WHM to ensure it works in future updates.