The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim load

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gsiva, Nov 14, 2007.

1. gsiva

gsiva Member

Hi,

The exim process creates a load spike in my server. When I use to check with the exim as

netstat -an | grep -c 25
    Is there any way to minimise the process of the exim. Plz help me on this issue.

2. sehh

sehh Well-Known Member

The above command is wrong and has nothing to do with Exim. It just prints ALL TCP/UDP connections and NOT processes!

If you want to check Exim processes do it with: ps ax |grep -i exim

Exim is not your problem, your problem is that something is using a lot of connections and you should probably look at what is causing them with "netstat -ap".

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To help better understand the issue, what are the specific indications and symptoms of high load caused by Exim?

What is the size of the Exim mail queue during the problematic load from Exim? The following can be used to check the count of queued messages; in extreme cases it is possible this will take a while to complete and return a number depending on how large the queue size is.
    Code:
    # exim -bpc
    As just one possible factor involved, it may help to investigate the queue contents to determine the circumstances of why there might be an extremely large number of queued messages; however, if the number is very extreme (e.g., 50000 e-mails) I would consider clearing the queue. To view and clear the queue the following feature in WHM may be used:
    QueueMgr < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    WhmEmail < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    Menu path, WHM: Main >> Email >> Mail Queue Manager

I recommend ensuring the server is configured to take full advantage of the available Exim configuration options, including RBLs and ACL options to reject known Spam and abusive incoming messages or other suspect SMTP activity that does not confirm to standards. Rejecting likely Spam e-mail at SMTP time and keeping the majority of Spam from ever being accepted should help to lower the load generated from Exim by decreasing its (CPU) processing activity required to deliver what would otherwise be wasted CPU cycles to accept and deliver inbound Spam.
    EximConfig < AllDocumentation/WHMDocs < TWiki
    Menu path, WHM, Main >> Service Configuration >> Exim Configuration Editor