The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim, Mailman and valiases files

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sigmaw, Feb 18, 2006.

1. sigmaw

sigmaw Member

I not really sure how to read the stuff in the guts of the server, but it seems to me that Exim and Mailman are integrated in such a way that the mailman aliases in the /etc/valiases files are uttered meaningless.

Is there any reason not to delete all that from the valiases file?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes - if you want the mailman mailing lists to work. They're setup that way to function. If you no longer want the mailing list, it's simply to just remove it through cPanel.

3. sigmaw

sigmaw Member

Hmmmmm.

I wanted to "listen in" on the bounces to a particular list and added an address to forward any bounces to, in addition to mailman processing, in the valiases file. I got nothing. Tried replacing the mailman processing call with just a forwarding address. Still nothing.

Just for giggles, I deleted the actual list address from a valiases file and sent mail to the list. Delivered just as usual.

I poked around in the exim conf file and it looks like it is automatically flagging anything that is set up as a list under mailman to be processed via a different "transport" that ignores the valiases files and overtly calls the various mailman processes based on the trailing piece of the address, included using post if there is none.

To me that means that the entries in the valiases files are moot.

What am I missing?