The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim/Mailman scaling?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by malphigian, Sep 19, 2003.

1. malphigian

malphigian Registered

Hoping you can help me with a of problem we're having.

We are running cpanel on a Virtual Private Server (96Megs RAM).

Yesterday, our server basically crashed (every service went down, one after the other).

Our web host looked into it and said it was probably because we had used up all our RAM, and were leaning heavily on the swap file. I'd like to note that that is pretty weak, I mean, even my windows box doesn't go down if I'm all over the pagefile. But if thats how it is, thats how it is.

Anyway, We have low web traffic, but we do have a 2000 person mailing list. It looks like this list is what killed the server. It was exim and or mailman sending several thousand emails (a few replies, and thats what happens) before the server died.

We upgraded the VPS to a larger package with 512 megs of RAM, but I have no idea how to tell if that's going to be enough.

So, lengthy intro out of the way, two questions:
    1. Does anyone have any general data on recommended specs (RAM, CPU) for running an active mailman list of X size?

2. Is there any way to throttle Exim so it doesn't try and send so many messages at once, but spaces them out a bit? (long shot, but figured its worth asking).

Thanks for any advice!
    :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: