The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim multiple hosts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by feanor, Jun 18, 2002.

1. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Hi people-

This might be buried somewhere in the forum, and I'm sure there are multiple rants about this across the 'Net that I'll find as I research this more.... I was curious has anyone had exim configured to the point of allowing multiple hostnames for the same instance?

Such as virtual hosts that are actually responsive to particular IP addresses, and even hostnames. I don't think this is possible within SMTP protocol without a lot of work (or perhaps a highly advanced sendmail config?) .... anyone have any past experience with this? I'm talking getting it fine tuned to the point where a customer can have headers as &mail.theirdomain.com& instead of SERVER1.COMPANYHOSTNAME.NET -

It's complicated and probably insane to suggest.
    But am I missing some easy solution that has been touched on previously?

:p
    Thanks for your time, anybody.

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

It’s not necessary to run multiple Exim instances, modifying configure.default to rewrite headers (which is effective on envelope sender and from: fields in the header) and transport.c, smtp.c, smtp.h, host.c, dns.c & lookups are enough to make SMTP working as your desire (all of these are inside Exim Source in ANSI C http://www.exim.org). After compilation and installation of Exim modification of Cpanel scripts are required.

But there are some disadvantages:
    1) Each time after updating WHM/Cpanel (Exim) you have to start at the very beginning the current version of Exim implemented in Cpanel is 3.34 however the latest release is 4.05 which requires modifying all of configuration files that are incompatible with 3.x series
    2) This modification to MTA is in violation of RFC 822
    3) If your customer on the modified system be involved in a legal prosecution you would have serious problems with authorities (however this is not a legal advice)

But there is a simpler way for anonymity that you wish to offer to your customers:

Register a domain for your Servers i.e. MyNOC.net then assign all of your servers to this domain and do not put your commercial info on it except a way to report Abuse by email.

As you have another commercial domain i.e. myhostingcompany.com
    Then without any manual modification you would have the required anonymity that you wish. (if your customer use PHP or Perl to get your system info this scheme is also OK)

3. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Interesting- thank you!

We've been down the anonymous base hostname road for about seven years now- basically it's the only way to go to protect resellers via most standard tcp services.

I am still digging around for more info.
    Perhaps the darkorb staff will take an interest in this someday down the road like they did with Proftpd.

;)