The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim-Multiple Recipients Message Delivery is Halted when one of recipients failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kerosin, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kerosin

kerosin Well-Known Member

Hi,

we have the following problem:

Our clients-realestate agents- are using MS Outlook to send out group mails to other realestate agents - basically they put many emails in the TO field.

So this is sent as a one message with many recipients.

But the problem is when one or more recipients have full mailbox or email is non-existant - then the delivery fails or it hangs in the mail queue.

Is it possible to configure EXIM to try to deliver mail to all recipients and don't stop delivery when fault recipient is reached ?

Or can something be done with this in the Outlook configuration (I strongly doubt it).

Thanks a lot

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It ought to just queue for that user, but I guess it may not. Either way, the solution to taht is to use a mailing list - that's what they're there for ;)

3. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

For this specific domain name, open /etc/valiases/domain.com and change :fail: to :blackhole:. However this will result a higher spam mail to this domain name.

4. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

I don't see how this would help anything.

Exim doesn't stop if it hits an address it can't reach; it just carries on. The mail stays in the queue until it has been delivered to all the recipients. If you open the email while it's in the queue, you can see which recipients it has already been delivered to.

5. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This is the scenario. User is sending email to his colleague such as from a@userdmain.com to b@userdomain.com. The problem exist if he put many addresses in To or CC field while sedning email. If one of the local address is failed to verify as a valid user it will stop sending the whole email. Nobody get the email. Fail to verify as a valid user means no INBOX for the email address AND default address of the domain set to :fail:. If you set it to others, anyaddress@thisdomain.com will always be valid.

User's mailbox is full doesn't cause the whole email fail. But it will keep in EXIM queue. Email still save in the inbox of users who don't have the problem. Users who the quota is full will get the email when the disk space is available.

6. kerosin

kerosin Well-Known Member

Thanks to everybody who answered!!! :)

Are you sure about this? I mean DOES IT send mail to recipients who are in the recipients list AFTER recipient with the full mailbox ? Or does it stop on this recipient .....

I'm going to try it right now......

Thanks