Exim outgoing settings to use account IPs

ottdev

Oct 1, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
These 2 settings sound the same to me. Must be under the surface they are not quite the same. Can someone explain ? [i have already tried the docs first, still unclear to me]
THANK YOU!

Send mail from account’s dedicated IP address [?]
Automatically send outgoing mail from the account’s IP address instead of the main IP address.

Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections [?]
Send outgoing mail from the IP address that matches the domain name in /etc/mailips

ottdev

Oct 1, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
OK I think I got it now.
There are 3 options?
- use the server main IP address for everyone (default)
- use each account's IP address as assigned in the WHM/as appear in DNS (ignore /etc/mailips)
- look up specifically designated IP address for each account as custom set in /etc/mailips

Is that correct?
So what happens if you choose to use /etc/mailips but there is no entry for a specific account? Does it fall back on using the server main IP address for that account or fails to send ?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
So what happens if you choose to use /etc/mailips but there is no entry for a specific account? Does it fall back on using the server main IP address for that account or fails to send ?
Domain names that are not configured in the /etc/mailhelo file utilize the primary IP address. The entry looks like this:

Code:
*: hostname.example.com
You should only use this option if you plan to manually populate the /etc/mailips and /etc/mailhelo file.

Thank you.