The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim overloading server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AbeFroman, Aug 24, 2004.

1. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

Feb 16, 2002
    Exim is overloading server, it brings my load over 100 then I stop it, load is down for a while, then i goes back up. How can I prevent exim from overloading?
  2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Find out whats causing it to skyrocket in the first place. How many emails in your queue? Is someone sendout out mass email ? These are just some of the questions you need to try and answer before asking for help. Its impossible for us to just give you a simple answer.

In effect, its not exim that's the problem here. Its your lack of knowledge with how it all works ( No offence meant ).

Here's a hint to get you started:

When the load skyrockets, have an ssh session open tailing the exim main log file. This can be done by issueing the following command on a linux system:

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog

On freebsd, the log is usually located @

You may end up seeing lines fly by you faster than you can read them. In which case, there are also tools provided within WHM for you to track down and find out whats going on, under the email management heading.