The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim Ports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tswaibel, Mar 10, 2004.

1. tswaibel

tswaibel Active Member

Greetings everyone.

Just to confirm, selecting Service Manager within Webhost Manager and clicking on "Run a copy of Exim on another Port" ... if I place port 26 in there.. does this still allow port 25 to be used, as well as 26.. or does this require all clients on the server adjust their outlook settings to 26?

Thanks!

2. BrightAdmin

BrightAdmin Well-Known Member

Hi tswaibel,

Try to "nmap" and check the opening ports. Then

Telnet yourdomain.com 25
    Telnet yourdomain.com 26

Check whether both ports are working. If it works in both ports, your mail client can use port 25 or 26. If it doesn't, then point your mail client to the working port.

Regards,

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Yes.

You need to have something listening for mail on port 25 to receive mail from "the public".

One reason to also listen for mail on port 26 (or any non-standard port) is to circumvent (or allow the circumvention of) the port 25 block (or interception) that some ISPs are running. You will have to reconfigure any "circumventing" mail client in order to send on a non-standard port.

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

BTW, I am not sure what (if there exists such a thing) the general concensus is amongst web hosts when it comes to reconfiguring their servers to allow clients to relay past their port 25 blocking ISPs, but I am not inclined to do so.