The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim Problem? DNS??

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by argus, Nov 22, 2005.

1. argus

argus Member

Hey there,

I have a Virtual dedicated server using WHM/CPanel. I have all but one client on a shared ip. The client on his own ip is having problems receiving emails from a specific domain. But - Isn't he using the same mailserver as the rest? On clients using the shared ip I can receive email from the problem domain, but emails sent to his IP the emails don't get past the problem domain mailserver.
    Any ideas what's causing this and am I right that the mailserver is shared?

Thanks,

-a

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

So far as the server is concerned there's only one mail server which listens on all the IP addresses on the server for inbound email and sends out email on the main IP address of the server.

To track down problems, you really need to tail the exim mainlog to see where the problems might be when email is sent to that domain:

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog

(<ctrl>-c gets you out of the tail)

If you see nothing in the logs regarding that domain when an email is sent to it, it's not getting to the server and the problem is most likely DNS related (i.e. their MX record is not setup correctly or pointing elsewhere).

3. argus

argus Member

Thanks for the clarification and the information.

-a