The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim Problems = Losing Customers!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcpanel, Nov 28, 2003.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

I have voiced my opinion in the past about how inferior I feel the exim MTA is. I am sad to see that no options seem to be in the works by DarkOrb. I am sad because our help desk contains cancellation request almost every single month due to continuous, unexpected email problems. Our customers demand working email. Exim does not provide this. It is too problematic. I noticed it almost immediately when I switched to Cpanel 2-3 years ago.

I have an Ensim server also that does not use Exim, and I rarely have problems with email. No, Ensim is nowhere as teriffic as Cpanel, I know this. I much prefer Cpanel. But, the Exim MTA is just so inferior, that it defies reason within Cpanel.

I sincerely hope that DarkOrb is considering options for its customers in regard to Exim. Mark me down as completely fed up with Exim and as tired of losing customers due to Exim as a person can get.

Note to any Exim apologists who may be considering replying about how wonderful it works on your server, etc. etc. etc. I don't believe you so don't waste your time. I have 7 cpanel servers and they all have exim and exim sucks on every one of them.

#1 bmcpanel, Nov 28, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  2. huffdata

huffdata Member

I manage many servers, I randomly see Exim issues way too often, not on all servers different ones, that seems like Exim-cpanel bug issues; please switch to postfix or something. I am taking on machines that have been working fine for months then Exim breaks and then there we go again.

#2 huffdata, Nov 28, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  3. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

I TOTALLY agree with you bmcpanel. Exim causes so many problems for me. It's such a headache indeed!

4. markie

markie BANNED

Exim is not inferior. Its Cpanels integration of Exim in Cpanel that is inferior. There is a big difference. This includes Mailman. Mailman is a good app, but Cpanels integration of Mailman is inferior. Anyeay, im running Exim 4-24 with MailScanner and im not having any more issues with Exim than previous versions. Id say im having 95% efficiency with Exim at the moment. The rest of you experiencing problems, try to add some fixes and modificaitons found for exim from the RS forums. Thats where i found my mods and i have pretty must zero issues.

#4 markie, Nov 29, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I find this interesting. Not having any problems with Exim (using Edge versions) I have to wonder if some 'addon' script is affecting it.

One person mentioned using MailScanner and I know others -- having Exim problems -- also run SpamAssassin. I do not use either of the those software apps and have to wonder, if that is why I have no problems?

6. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Thanks Website Rob. I actually found your post to be very helpful because I run both mailscanner and spamassassin. Perhaps I need to either take a look at these two again or reconsider whether I should continue to run them or not.

I'd like to ask what you run in place of either of these apps? Anti-virus too if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the info. :)

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your welcome for any help my post provides and have to admit, Exim works just fine with the Virus filter (/etc/antivirus.exim) it comes with -- which can be customized -- and my adding in the Spam databases. Lots of posts on using the Spam databases -- search for ACL, blacklist, or something similar -- and know my Clients appreciate not having to do anything and yet, receive very little Spam.

There are some drawbacks of course, with using the Spam databases, but one can search this Forum and pickup some great info.

8. alilam

alilam Member

I am still stuck with the problem!

I cannot send out emails!!!!! losing heaps of clientS!!!

it says "connection refused"

9. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

bmcpanel,

I do not have any issues with Exim either and never have. Maybe it's the thing between the keyboard and the chair.
    I regularly have customers running 1800+ email lists all the time and it handles it just fine.

:D

Seriously, if you had problems or reliability problems it's from your ineffectiveness in administering it or getting the problem SOLVED. I know you were a newbie before, bmcpanel, and you keep whining on this as if cPanel should be the one to fix the problem you are having. This brings me to the conclusion you still are a newbie at all this.

What we all don't know is how you configure your servers. Maybe you are overloading your servers with too many clients? Maybe you're not cleaning your queue out? Maybe you're thinking cPanel is a magic solution that will do everything for you while you frolick somewhere else?Sometimes I find it laughable that newbies at unix or non-techies think they can try to do hosting just because they found cPanel and other solutions.

Why bring it up as a cpanel issue when it's obviously the stuff between the keyboard and the chair that can't help their clients (and I feel sorry for them for signing up with you!)
    All you do is bring up whining threads based on issues that could have been solved by you long ago if you had pushed it properly with cPanel support and using some unix/mail knowledge.

I even recall you having a dumb signature telling us to stop insulting you and help (gee wonder what happened to that!). Why should we, since you're being a dumb*** about it every time.

Brenden

10. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

I have no idea, other than telling you to send in a urgent support ticket! It may be other stuff on your server conflicting. You didn't give enough information....... "connection refused" could mean anything..

Look in /var/log/exim_mainlog or /var/log/exim_rejectlog and see.

Brenden