The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim Queue And Processes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJCooper, Aug 11, 2004.

1. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

Hi,
    I have a very high queue ranging over 1,000 and I have found out that a user on the system purchased a email list and most of these addresses come to be fake for some reason or another. I don't have a problem with him sending email to a list of people I do have a problem with the ones being fake and rejected and go into queue on my server. I need to know how to get these messages either back to the send which i dont really want but rather just fail them and get rid of them to keep the cpu load down. I am running WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-S65 With RedHat 9 - WHM X v3.1.0 if that helps.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Now, I could help, but unfortunately such activities are now illegal in the EU, so can't (you must have explicit consent) :p

I'd be very careful if you have a sensitive NOC, otherwise you could find your server switched off without notice.

3. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

Sorry what exactly is illegal in the EU and where is the EU? I am in the U.S. What can I do to knock the queue down and just trash the bounced emails? It would be helpful if I can have someone help by posting what config I should do to help this queue out.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The EU is probably the largest trading block in the world - Europe. It's illegal in the EU to send bulk email to a mailing list you have bought, because consent must be given to the actual party sending the bulk email by the recipient, not a third-party.

It will only take a few of those "fake" addresses to go to legitimate email addresses that don't want the email, they report it to, say spamcop, your servers IP address is then blacklisted and your NOC might switch it off.

If you want technical help, I suggest that you search these forums. There have been a multitude of threads recently about long mail queues and there's no need to start another one.

5. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

Yeah, I looked and it seemed that there was no direct answer to it for my situation. I don't want to do something to the config if it doesn't need to be. I just need to know how to drop the bounced emails that come back to the server because the reciepent failed. The reciepent does not reside on the server if that helps at all. I will discuss this email list with the client now.

6. chadi

chadi BANNED

If you're in the US, I strongly suggest to NOT allow anyone send bulk email, especially from any lists whatsoever. From my experience.

7. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

Thats fine but how do I deal with this queue?

8. chadi

chadi BANNED

Simply put, delete it and don't allow bulk mail outgoing from thereon after.