The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim reject from email header

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by blackmesh, Apr 12, 2005.

1. blackmesh

blackmesh Registered

Having a problem with EXIM and the From header scanning. I know the square brackets are illegal in RFCs within the email address however in this case a client is using them outside the email address as part of the comment section. The error in the exim log is below.

2005-03-07 13:40:06 1D8N9Y-0004JY-8G H=(xxxxxx) [xx.xx.xx.xx] F=<xx@xx.xx> rejected after DATA: syntax error in 'From:' header when scanning for sender: missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<") in "Some name [ABCD] <yyy@xx.xx>"

I have no control over what the remote server does and their response is that it works with other mail servers and not yours. With that, sendmail does pass the emails however I am not suprised since sendmail isn't really standards based (that isn't the point here though).

Is there a way to allow square brackets in the comment section of the email address in exim without putting "" around the comment section? Is there a configuration change I can make in the exim.conf?

Thanks for your time.

jason

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's no configuration setting that I'm aware of. The syntax of the senders email is simply RFC non-compliant. That is, it is breaking the rules on SMTP email construction and so should always be rejected - they do indeed need quotes around the comment.

The sender needs to fix their MUA or script that is sending out the email in the first place, there's nothing that exim could or should do to cater for a broken sender.

3. blackmesh

blackmesh Registered

Thanks Chirpy.. I feel the same way. I pretty much have expressed that to my customer and said there isn't really anything Exim can do with it except reject it.

Thanks for your input!

jason