The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim relaying - blacklisted @ ordb.org

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henker, Oct 31, 2003.

1. henker

henker Well-Known Member

One of my hosts is currently blacklisted at ordb.org since Exim appears to be relaying emails written as
    To: "marvin@marvin.ordb.org"@mydomain.com
    Is there any quick way to fix this in Exim ?
    I found a similar thread but didn't see any fixes yet.
    You can check your own host here:
    http://www.ordb.org/lookup

2. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please note that if you test your server at ordb and it fails you will be blacklisted - which may lead to your server being pulled by your NOC (this applies especially to rackshack servers). Test your Server at your own risk.

cPanel 8.4 was not an open relay, unsure about current version and not game to test.

3. henker

henker Well-Known Member

OK, after some investigation some more info:
    it looks like the email to
    "marvin@marvin.ordb.org"@mydomain.com
    does NOT relay to marvin@marvin.ordb.org, but it goes to the primary MX for mydomain.com.
    Please note that these tests were done when I had mydomain.com in /etc/secondarymx .
    So this way, the email is accepted and (only guessing) ordb.org considers the server as an open relay.
    I removed the secondary MX to avoid any further nuisances, but is there any way to restrict this behaviour ?

Thanks for the note about risking to be blacklisted.
    You should be absolutely sure your host is NOT an open relay (which I WAS, actually). It is no open relay, but nonetheless it is considered one by ordb.org.
    BTW, this is an RS machine, but in case I get an email from abuse@rs I can state what is happening exactly.

4. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The primary domain does get those emails from ordb - it means you are NOT AN OPEN RELAY. If you are listed it is for another reason...

5. henker

henker Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. After further investigation, the primary has in fact delivered to marvin@marvin.ordb.org which really makes me wonder why the secondary is listed as on open relay.

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On what basis do you make this statement? I see no mention of what you say at the website.

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    http://ordb.org/faq/#test_no_list
    Don't list my server, only test it!

If you request that a server be tested, and it fails our tests, it will unavoidably get listed.

---

Bit of a reach to say "Please note that if you test your server at ordb and it fails you will be blacklisted" as ordb.org is referring to the fact; any open relay Server is bound to get noticed, tested, found open -- and then blacklisted. It's only a matter of time.

Mind you, that's my read on the wording, but if anyone has tried it, found to be an open relay and got blacklisted (with ordb.org) because of it, I can change my opinion pretty quick. :D

8. Azer

Azer Member

i don't know why people there say that exim hasn't open relay. i just check few random hosts which offer hosting with cpanel and found that all on one has open relay (tests say this, not i am).
    and also i check hosts with cpanel and exim which own by my friends and also found fails of open relay tests - in some case 1-2 test failed in other - 12 tests!

And i check all solutions for resolve this problem and found only one simple and good way - check_smtp_synchro= true, but unforunately it dasn't work correct on all machines...

PS Regarding checking open relayers on testers. Dosn't matter who is testers - you or your users or your users free mail providers. When you get listed in open relay database - you will have problem -so you need test server configuration before you change it status from test to production.

9. henker

henker Well-Known Member

OK, but in my case, it was a bit different, because I added
    mydomain.com to /etc/secondarymx.
    Nonetheless: isn't it possible to reject emails like
    "marvin@marvin.ordb.org"@mydomain.com
    "foo@bar.org"@mydomain.com ?

Why should anyone send emails to "address@domain.com"@mydomain.com in the first place ?

I have found similar issues in the Exim ML archives, but haven't found any config options for 4.x.