The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim responding with FQDN rather than client MX record

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nathann, Jun 23, 2008.

1. nathann

nathann Registered

Hi everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone has seen this or if it's default behaviour for Exim.

We have a server that is currently responding to smtp requests with the FQDN rather than the client MX record, this isn't too bad when you are on the same shared IP (but still does cause some verification issues), however, when the FQDN of the server and MX record have different IP's, mail doesn't get received as many mail servers consider it spam.

Does anyone know if this is default behaviour for exim (if it is, it's a little strange as I'd have thought a shared hosting solution would respond with the client MX record & IP) or if there is a config setting to fix this.

The ** Send outgoing mail from accounts ip address instead of the main ip address. [Warning: If you turn this setting on you should make sure your reverse dns entries match the ones in /etc/mail_reverse_dns] [?] option is enabled.

The error we currently get is: mail.xxx.xxx claims to be host nclvh01.xxx.xxx [but that host is at xxx.xxx.xxx.30 (may be cached), not xxx.xxx.xxx.40]. <br />

Thanks

Nathan

#1 nathann, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't have that setting enabled for sending outgoing mail from accounts IP instead of main IP, but what it sounds like is this:

It sounds like you enabled the feature for sending out mail from the IP that the account belongs to, but then in your MX records you have mail.domainname.com still mapped to the main IP address of the server? is that possible? If you care to PM me the IP address of the site in question as well as the main IP address of your server, and the domain names in question i'll do some lookups and try to give you a definitive answer. I understand why you don't publicly provide your IP addresses - but you then need to understand why it is difficult for others to help you without knowing the crucial information.

Mike

3. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

What is account's main IP address?

In the error is the first subdomain really 'mail.'?

What's the output of:

host mail.xxx.xxx
    host ip_of_mail.xxx.xxx

host nclvh01.xxx.xxx
    host ip_of_nclvh01.xxx.xxx