The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim restarting 2 or 3 times per hour

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hilario, Apr 14, 2014.

1. hilario

hilario Well-Known Member

My Exim is continually failing and restarting 2 or 3 times per hour.

The mail report states:
    Service Check Method: [socket connect]
    Reason: TCP Transaction Log: << 554 <alfa.soliton.com.br> Service denied, closing transmission channel
    exim: ** [554 <alfa.soliton.com.br> Service denied, closing transmission channel != 220 ]
    : Died at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/TailWatch/ChkServd.pm line 894, <$socket_scc> line 1.

1) Is there any command to reproduce the very same test that cPanel is executing to check exim status?
    2) What should I check to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help provided

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I will suggest you check your exim status through command line when you get this alert.

[CODEE]server exim status [/CODE]

Have you installed any Antispam plugin on your server with the exim ?

3. hilario

I have Configserver Mailscanner (running for 7 years) and also ASSP Anti Spam SMTP Proxy (running for 5 years)

At this moment I do not believe that the problem is with either of the antispam applications as both are doing their job and none is failing at all. The only symptom I have is that exim fails (or at leat cPanel thinks it failed), is restarted and continues to work for another half an hour.

I am not sure that exim really failed. It is possible that cPanel check failed. Thus I need to learn how cPanel checks it so I can manually test and track the problem origin

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can review /var/log/chkservd.log to get a better idea of when Exim is detected as down. Also, check /var/log/exim_mainlog and /var/log/exim_paniclog for any particular failure entries. Note that it's likely a good idea to temporarily disable MailScanner and ASSP just to rule them out as the cause of the problem.

Thank you.

5. hilario

Yes, I intend to check both ASSP and Mailscanner, but I do not want them to be down for too much time because my server blocks many thousands of spams per day, and it takes too much time for exim to fail (and between failures it is working anyway, so if there is any problem, it is probably an interference of the cpanel script with the antispam system).

If I can manually run the same script that cPanel uses to check exim, I can easily test with each of the antispam systems disabled in just a couple of minutes while I check the origin of the problem (as opposed to many hours exposed to spam).

Are you able to tell me how I run the cpanel script that checks exim?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The service checks are handled by Chkservd automatically every eight minutes. This is logged to:

Code:
    /var/log/chkservd.log
    You can see what's used for Exim in this file:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/src/chkservd/chkserv.d/exim
    Thank you.