Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

exim sender_verify

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by freakysid, Dec 9, 2004.

1. freakysid

freakysid Well-Known Member

Is sender_verify neccessary in exim in your opinion? Would using sender_try_verify be more useful a setting?

I get a few (not many) support requests from time to time from customers unable to receive mail from a sender with the cause being that sender was not verified because of the sender's domain having dodgy DNS records - for example a user@subdomain.domain but there is no A or CNAME record for subdomain.domain.

If I change the sender_verify setting to sender_try_verify am I going to be opening the flood-gates to hell and destruction?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I think sender_verify is a good compromise in not checking and checking whether the account actually exists (which you can do with sender_verify). It is not too much to ask that DNS is correctly setup and I find that it does block a good proportion of spam. Since there is good reason not to accept email from a sender that fails the check, I can't see any reason to relax the checking.

Edit: Just thought that I would add this:

I don't think disabling it would be that bad, though spam would rise. If you did, I would recommend (which I do anyway) that you put in a dictionary attack ACL:
    http://www.webumake.com/free/eximdeny.htm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...