The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim/sendmail STARTTLS Fails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pfmartin, Aug 12, 2003.

1. pfmartin

pfmartin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am thinking this is going to be one of those that is only happening to me for the moment. But here goes:

The new exim has STARTTLS enabled. This allow one to use SSL when authenticating login.

OK, here's where the problem comes in:

I am sending an email from another server that uses sendmail. Sendmail tries to deliver an email to a user on my exim (cpanel) server. Sendmail detects that STARTTLS is enabled, and therefore tries to verify the certificates... (I am guessing at this point because I am not quite sure). Here is what the sendmail log shows:

Aug 12 11:20:04 dsrv104 sendmail[3163]: STARTTLS=client, relay=domain.com., version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=DES-CBC3-SHA, bits=8/168
    Aug 12 11:20:04 dsrv104 sendmail[3163]: h7CFK4Fq003161: to=<user@domain.com>, ctladdr=<apache@dsrv104.xxxx.net> (48/48), delay=00:00:00xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=30436, relay=domain.com. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 451 Temporary local problem - pleastry later

No matter what I do, the email cannot be delivered to the exim (cpanel) server.

Is this an overall problem with the way exim is setup? Should the STARTTLS transaction verify be disabled on the sendmail side? I would image not since this would presume that the problem is not on the cpanel server.

Anyhow, this is simply a cry for help out to the dark. Hoping someone can shine a little light on this for me.

Thanks!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 pfmartin, Aug 12, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

On the sendmail server execute the following:

echo "hello world" | mail -v user@cpanelserver.com

The output from that may provide some hints as to where the issue is.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: