Centos 7.9
cPanel & WHM Version

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! That definitely isn't normal behavior for the mail server. If you check the mail logs on the system, do you see multiple incoming messages with different mail IDs? If so, that would indicate that the server is actually receiving all of those messages, and then delivering them normally. I'd recommend checking the Exim log directly on the system to see if there are incoming messages that match the ones you are receiving.

pasayev

Oct 15, 2013
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
Ticket number is #94301052.

I found source of issue. In outlook software SMTP is not working. So outlook tries again and again to deliver email. Actually email deliver to receipent successfully when outlook trying to send email but smtp still giving error in outlook. You can see outlook smtp connection timeout error in attachment. As before, after restarting exim outllook connection turns to normal. So what should I do? Thanks.

Attachments

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@pasayev - I don't have a good way to translate that screenshot on my end, so I don't have much advice I can add at this time. Are you running this server in a VMWare environment?

@hatchet_au - We didn't mention changing Outlook settings in your open ticket, and confirmed the issue was with Exim. We did confirm this problem to be an issue with the way that time is handled on the VMWare systems, and currently the only known fix is to restart Exim. We also mentioned the possibility of disabling chrony on the machine.

pasayev

Oct 15, 2013
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
You can solve this problem by restarting exim. But after 2-3 hours same issue occurs again. There is an issue in cpanel 94.0.2 version and I think it will be resolved next update of Cpanel. I set root cronjob to restart exim every 30 minutes. Today nobody (customers) called me about problem. Of course this is temporary solution. Another solution is disabling chrony and set cronjob rdate for root user. But I haven't tested it yet. I will test it and post here about result.

@cPRex - Yes this issue occurs all of my vmware servers.

hatchet_au

Registered
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
We didn't mention changing Outlook settings in your open ticket
I think it's amiss of you not to mention that at the time of posting (while my message was moderated by you on the forums) the solution that was provided to me in that ticket was "Can you please ask them to turn off the following setting in Outlook "Do not save copies of sent items"?" followed by a link to the relevant Microsoft article, then "Because this can create duplicates.". I would classify this as far contrary to your statement quoted.

Until I pushed for further investigation which resulted in the ticket being either escalated and reassigned, or just reassigned, which then led to a final solution of the restarting Exim/workaround for chrony.

I'm happy with the workaround as I explained in that ticket, but please don't hide the truth here on the forums.

pasayev

Oct 15, 2013
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
I disabled chrony and set rdate cron for root user. Till now there is not any problem on my side. Working with temporary solution until new update of Cpanel version.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@hatchet_au - I do see where earlier in the ticket we mentioned trying this, before we were able to find the root cause of the issue. Sorry for any confusion on that, and definitely didn't mean to hid anything.

@pasayev - we're still doing some testing on our side, but having chrony disabled is giving promising results so far!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@s_blaydes - the issue with duplicate emails is addressed in case CPANEL-36312, and the case made specifically to address this in version 94 (as the same fix could not be applied to both cPanel versions) is CPANEL-36653. They are both still being tested, so there isn't anything available through updates just yet, but you can keep an eye on the change log at 94 Change Log | cPanel & WHM Documentation for that case number to see when it goes public.