The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim service can't start, Server is behind NAT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alekmhost, Dec 26, 2014.

1. alekmhost

alekmhost Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

We are in process of migrating mail platform to cPanel server.

Here is current network\server setup:

We have firewall: Checkpoint Safe@Office 1000n:

- WAN side, public IP from ISP
    - LAN side, current mail server with private IP: 10.12.X.Y, and it's still running till I configure properly new one-cPanel

I've installed CentOS 6.6 on another physical server, and cPanel server which is planned to be the new one mail server.
    Installation went smoothly. After inital setup, noticed that server is configured with local ip address from DHCP server, and changed with local static one(from same pool 10.12.x.y).
    Started with configuration of server, and at one point, I need to restart Exim services, where following error occurs:
    Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Waiting for “exim” to restart …………waiting for “exim” to initialize ………finished.

Service Status:
         exim (/usr/sbin/exim -bd -q1h) running as mailnull with PID 2593 (pidfile check method)

The service “exim” failed to send the expected response to host “127.0.0.1” and port “25” because an error: Timed out while waiting for a response.

Startup Log:
         Starting exim: [  OK  ]
         0 processes (antirelayd) sent signal 9
         /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_sa_rules: running in background

Log Messages:
         2014-12-26 16:45:44 exim 4.84 daemon started: pid=2593, -q1h, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv6 and IPv4) port 587 (IPv6 and IPv4) and for SMTPS on port 465 (IPv6 and IPv4)
         2014-12-26 16:38:07 exim 4.84 daemon started: pid=2086, -q1h, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv6 and IPv4) port 587 (IPv6 and IPv4) and for SMTPS on port 465 (IPv6 and IPv4)

exim has failed. Please contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After a google research, came accross following link: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/1:1+NAT, where stands that local ip address(received from DHCP) is mapped to the public one.

using "The build_cpnat script" from link above, I've fixed mentioned issue above.

However, when I try to restart Exim service, similar error occurs:

Code:
    Waiting for “exim” to restart …………waiting for “exim” to initialize ………finished.

Service Status:
         exim (/usr/sbin/exim -bd -q1h) running as mailnull with PID 3339 (pidfile check method)

The service “exim” failed to send the expected response to host “127.0.0.1” and port “25” because an error: Timed out while waiting for a response.

Startup Log:
         Starting exim: [  OK  ]
         0 processes (antirelayd) sent signal 9
         /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/update_sa_rules: running in background

exim has failed. Please contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.

Any chance that this is issue is due the current mail server is still on the network(router is forwarding traffic on port 25 to old server, this is going to be changed and configured to cPanel server-I'm planning to remove it right away upon cPanel server configuration).

Many Thanks,

Aleksandar

2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I would think that your firewall may have port 25 blocked. If so then Exim can't connect and will fail. That's just a guess though. If you'd like assistance, please open a support ticket using the link in my signature and we'll be happy to investigate that for you. Please post the ticket number here so we can updated this thread accordingly.