Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Exim - slower cue retry fixed by Nick!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpmws, May 19, 2003.

1. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I have been running edge for ever. Well the new exim I get every day with upcp. Old exim would retry mail cue faster. A problem I have noticed is local mail sitting in cue. Hit deliver and boom gone. Most of these local mail issues are due to a inbox.lock file which means it tried to deliver when a pop session was going. Well the new exim has a default retry to 60 minutes. The old one was 15 minutes. That was my problem. Nick just added a option in WHM / tweak settings/ at the bottom for setting exim retry cycle time. Just grab the latest edge build!!!

Thank you Nick!!!! Can't get support like this anywhere!!! period!!!! the BEST!!!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

Just upgraded :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Well, today (after upgrading yesterday) I noticed that exim once again queues all remotely addressed (not local!) e-mail from user nobody (php scripts).

It was working fine for weeks up till today.
    load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00, so that can't be the cause.

Ofcourse setting the retry time to 1 minute would somehow disguise the problem, but it's not a real solution, and will cause a higher load on the server.

The question is:
    Why do the latest Exim versions queue remotely addressed e-mail from user nobody (php scripts) ?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 14153

#3 jamesbond, May 19, 2003
    Last edited: May 19, 2003
  4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I thought that was the case also but I don't think it is. Nick and I went through about 5 local que messages I had and they were all delayed becuase of locked inbox's. inbox.lock files. I can send out a list to my clients (nobody's) and about 100 of them are on this one box. I can check que and only maybe 3 are still there after 2 minutes. I can check those and sure enough pop sessions were the issue on all of them. (inbox.lock)

Make sure this isn't the issue. I found nobody mail sitting but also nobody mail delivering side by side and the only diff was inbox.lock files. I reset my exim to 15 minutes like it was. I may be wrong on all this. Just trying to figure it out also.

5. jamesbond

I am 100% sure that it only happens with remotely addressed e-mails from user nobody.

I just tried it with a php form which sends a test e-mail to a local and remote address.
    The e-mail is delivered to the local user instantly and the e-mail has NOT been delivered to the remote e-mail address instantly.

No warning/error messages in exim_mainlog, just this :

2003-05-19 20:15:19 19Hr2V-0002yQ-00 <= nobody@myservername U=nobody P=local S=378

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: Hi,I know you're probably very busy, I was just wondering if you could take a look at this thread :
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=45264

Exim queues remotely addressed e-mail from user nobody (php scripts)
    server load is 0.02

#5 jamesbond, May 19, 2003
  6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

AHHH yes I have seen that .I have a domain reg template script that sends to my registrar and copies one to me locally. Actually in my case I have seen neither deliver until que run or manually done from WHM. and I think I have seen one delevir and teh other did not for no reason.

7. jamesbond

Well in the past I've always solved the issue by downgrading to exim_101, but I'm getting tired of that.
    The past weeks it was working fine with the latest Exim, until today unfortunately :(

The delays are unacceptable, even 15 minutes is too much.
    When a customer places an order and doesn't get a confirmation e-mail within 3 minutes he might start wondering what went wrong.

I hope Nick can fix this issue. Everything was working properly up to exim_101.

#7 jamesbond, May 19, 2003