The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim SMTP Abused.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mirfan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mirfan

mirfan Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I had situation in past when one of my domain POP3/SMTP user/pass compromised.
    And someone connect to our server (SMTP) with that user account to send bulk of emails.
    I need to eliminate this sort of spam mechanism like in case if account compromised no one can send emails to others by using that user email address.
    I have quite some users on my domain which acts as POP3 and SMTP also. I can't block SMTP port on server because it's block outside world also to send emails to us.

I have couple of idea's to prevent SMTP abused. Please suggest.

1) I thought i can configure max no. mails per hour. and change ACL to count no. of messages in emails at SMTP time and declare threshold. If no. of emails count at SMTP greater than let say 100 than discard email and consider it as spam.

2) Is that possible to configure two separate SMTP in exim on different port ? SMTP1 will listen on port 25 and will entertain internal users and SMTP2 on port 587 which will serve to outside world. And configure router in exim as internal domain users ( connects to SMTP1 and others will connect to SMTP2. Finally block SMTP1 port in firewall to connect from outside world. So no one can connect to SMTP1 except internal network.

or any other better solution ?