The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim Spam Concern

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeteC, Aug 16, 2006.

1. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

I just discovered today that I can send e-mail without SMTP authentication or POP-before-SMTP (using antirelayd) on any server, if these two requirements are met:

1) The "From:" address is a valid e-mail account (not just a forwarder).
    2) The "To:" address is valid and its domain resides on the same server as the "From:" address.

This seems like a very serious loophole for spammers, because armed with the address of a valid e-mail account at a specific cPanel-hosted domain, they could then spam all day long to addresses at that domain or even at other domains on that same server.

I'm hoping I've missed something here, but I tested and re-tested on multiple servers and the above description seems accurate.

I haven't even dug into exim.conf yet to see why this is allowed or how to block it. But I thought I should go ahead and post this possible loophole so others could correct me if I'm wrong or add any insight of their own.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's perfectly normal behaviour for an SMTP server, otherwise you would never receive any email - it's simply relaying email into the server addressed to a valid recipient.

3. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

So then the only protection against spammers in that case is SpamAssassin, RBL, etc.?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed.