The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim/Spamassin Reject above X score?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by picoyak, Jul 21, 2004.

1. picoyak

picoyak Well-Known Member

Being a long-time Sendmail user, I've always piped mail through spamass-milter to be examined. With the milter, I could set two thresholds for SA -- one to be marked as spam, and another to be rejected.

For instance, I like to mark as spam when the score is >= 4.0, and reject when the score is >= 12.0

Is there any way to accomplish this with my current Mailscanner/Exim/SA setup?

TIA for any advice! :)

2. charlie

charlie Member

To Mark at 4 and Discard at 12

Set the Spam Assassin Config file
    required_hits 4.0

Set the Cpanel E-Mail Filter to
    $message_headers contains "X-Spam-Level: ************" Discard
    The number of ***,s is the 'score' you want to discard at.

3. n1zyy

n1zyy Member

I'm not sure if this is what picoyak is looking for, but in some views, there's a big difference between discarding mail and rejecting it. Discarding sends the message that the account's active, and just ignoring spam, whereas if it bounces back, some spammers might remove it.

Although you could change it to "forward" to :fail: I believe?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, they won't, once you're on a spam list, you'll stay there. You should never bounce it - it creates more email traffic and nearly always goes to an innocent party.

5. picoyak

Ah yeah thanks all. I actually did finally find options in Mailscanner.conf. How I missed them the first zillion times scrolling through that file, I dunno. Anyway, a comibination of the following allows me delete.

High SpamAssassin Score = 12
    High Scoring Spam Actions = delete

I considered notify for about 0.5 seconds before just deciding to delete the stupid things. It's only mail for my personal domains and if it scores a 12 then in my book it's rubbish :D

Thank all for the feedback! :)

6. picoyak

Ok. I must have been wrong :(

with the settings above, it seems there's some disconnect someplace, as today I finally received a mail scoring 19.1. It was marked as [SPAM], which is the mark chosen via cpanel for the specific site. Whereas I'm guessing if Mailscanner were actually controlling SA server-wide scoring and headers, then the default {spam?} tag would be used.

There seems to be some disconnect there with spamassassin and mailscanner? Everything works pretty well -- virus scanning and spam scoring, and of course delivery. But at exactly what point spam scoring/handling leaves Mailscanner moves over to each domains .spamassasin/user_prefs is escaping me.

I know... there's something I'm not seeing here. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, and just to clarify, my goal is to delete high-scoring spam, not reject it.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The concept of Spam and High Scoring Spam is a MailScanner thing and has nothing to do with SpamAssassin (other than SA provides the scores). You can only have different actions if you use SA through MailScanner and completely disable SA in WHM and cPanel. It doesn't work with a mix of the two.

8. charlie

charlie Member

An update to my previous post.
    The method of using the Spam Assassin tags and the Cpanel E-mail filters to Mark at one level and discard at another WON'T work if you are using the Cpanel Default E-mail Account.

You must create a POP account and use Cpanel to make the POP account the default to work.