The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim under attack?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adapter, Apr 19, 2005.

1. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi

i have a high server load and it is Exim i have check exmin_mainlog and i see a lot of these message

2005-04-19 12:30:40 H=(mx4.hotmail.com) [196.2.98.198] F=<wszmpkuhdgzhb@hotmail.com> rejected RCPT <xmsus@>: no such address here
    2005-04-19 12:30:40 H=(mx4.hotmail.com) [196.2.98.198] F=<comwzxxlqstn@hotmail.com> rejected RCPT <xmsuw@>: no such address here
    2005-04-19 12:30:40 H=(mx4.hotmail.com) [196.2.98.198] F=<gicviddezjdeyvb@hotmail.com> rejected RCPT <xmsuu@>: no such address here

how can i stop it? what is doing?

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It is very likely that a script is being exploited. Protecting and securing your server is the best thing you can do to stop these Spammers/hackers.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

4. gahelm

gahelm Active Member

Chirpy,
    I have been using your script and exim acl mods since version 1.0. Worked great! But it isnt working anymore and I cant figure out why. I verified that the mods are still located in the acl section of exim (2nd set of text boxes etc...) the perl script is installed with the proper permissions, the deny file is there, and a symbolic link has been created in cron to run the script. My exim main log which clearly shows a domain being hammered by a dictionary attack never rejects the user, nothing lands in the deny file etc.... My server is being slammed to its knees and I have no idea why this isnt working anymore. Any ideas?

5. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

gahelm: Is it possible this particular domain has the default address set to :blackhole: instead of :fail: ??

If you are not seeing unknown users being rejected in exim_mainlog this could be the problem. Remember that the dictionary attack scripts will have no impact unless you are using :fail: as the default.

Hope this helps.

#5 RickG, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  6. gahelm

gahelm Active Member

Thanks for the response. I have already checked to confirm that the default for all domains is set to :fail:. This is ppretty weird, I know it's going to be something stupid, I just need to find it soon.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Check the ownership of the file /etc/exim_deny.lock, if i is owned by root, delete it, and the ACL script should start working again for you.

#7 chirpy, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  8. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Hmm ... think its worthwhile looking in the actual domain files under /etc/valiases/ ?

It might be redundant ... but is there any chance the domain being slammed with the dictionary attack is a "parked" domain? If so, I think you'd have to look at the actual domain files under /etc/valiases/ to confirm their default is set to :fail:

You might have already done this ...