The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exim update killed all email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by riffer, May 15, 2004.

1. riffer

riffer Member

After almost a year of no problems and serving over 20 domains from our cpanel/whm box, I logged in last night and saw a "critical update warning" for exim - so, I clicked the link and ran the update...

Now, all email fails... I get these errors in exim_mainlog:

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{checksa_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}{$received_protocol}}" for virtual_sa_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::checksa_deliver called.

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver called.

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{checksa_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}{$received_protocol}}" for virtual_sa_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::checksa_deliver called.

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

2004-05-15 13:18:57 1BP5cI-0004hH-28 failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver called.

2004-05-15 13:18:58 1BP5cX-0004iX-Up failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for lookuphost router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

2004-05-15 13:18:58 1BP5cX-0004iX-Up failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for literal router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

Please, tell me, WHM people, what did you do to my box???

2. riffer

riffer Member

actaully, the above is from exim_paniclog - and I AM panicing along with a whole bunch of other people who have been without email since I ran the "security update" last night. I will grant you that the email is secure now, but this is ridiculous...

I have never had any problems before and have always religiously kept up with updates...

here is what I get when I try to deliver mail through the WHM mail queue...

Message 1BP2Jg-0008Ka-IA is no longer frozen
    LOG: MAIN PANIC
    failed to expand condition "${perl{checksa_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}{$received_protocol}}" for virtual_sa_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::checksa_deliver called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{checksa_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}{$received_protocol}}" for virtual_sa_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::checksa_deliver called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver_spam}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user_spam router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver_spam called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{check_deliver}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::check_deliver called.

failed to expand condition "${perl{checkvalias}{$domain}{$local_part}}" for has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkvalias called.

LOG: MAIN
    ** xxx@xxx.com: Unrouteable address
    LOG: MAIN
    Frozen (delivery error message)

Please help! Or at least tell me how to undo this update mess...

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I suggest that you read the myriad of other exim threads that have the identical errors and for which the solution has been shown many times. At the very least:

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/exim4

4. riffer

riffer Member

Wow, I would think an expensive program like this would get me more than this lame response...

Thanks for at least one link... oops, guess you couldn't even do that much...

Glad to know that problems like these are such a priority and that my money, once spent, ain't good for even a little common courtesy...

5. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Please don't badmouth the people who have been extraordinarily helpful to the rest of us, especially Chirpy. They do this out of the goodness of their hearts, and I for one depend on their help from time to time!

6. peddler

peddler Active Member

Exactly! I know that I for one am extremely grateful that experienced folks offer their expertise. Much appreciated!

7. riffer

riffer Member

I apologize for my frustration, but the answer was lame - he/she could have easily said "run these two scripts." But instead, chose to be condescending and aloof...

The whole reason I spent over a grand on this is because it is supposed to help me "NOT" have to become a server administrator. Is that not the target market?

So, when I see a giant red window with a high-severity telling me to click here to upgrade and when it's done it has taken down all my user's ability to send and receive email and I come here asking for help, and the help I get simply says "do a search" and then *assumes* that I know what the two script paths are supposed to be and, furthermore, after doing the "search" I see that this is a known issue and there was no mention of this in the "update link" and this after pending hours lookng at exim.conf, trying different settings, etc, etc - I get a little irritated with flippant answers like that...

So, whatever... I guess this software wasn't really meant for non server admins who really don't need this kinda functionality...

8. peddler

peddler Active Member

Chirpy wasn't condescending or aloof and told you exactly what you needed to know. Did you expect someone to do a search and post the links to a fix? Or better yet, fix the problem for you? You knew where the problem was and a simple search would have pointed you in the right direction to take care of it.

Also, you could have been a stand up guy and said, "I apologize, but I was frustrated" and left it at that. Adding the part that "the answer was lame" was uncalled for and quite frankly, childish.

You may be well served to seek out professional help because you'll surely run into more complex issues that this one down the road.

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

People seem to forget that these are not support forums :rolleyes: These forums are for server administrators to share information. We come here and help others in our spare time and have nothing to do with cPanel the company.

Indeed, we're mostly helping our competitors :eek:

So, taking the time to do a simple search is hardly too much to ask when this issue has been done to death over the last few days.

If you wanted support, you should have raised a ticket with cPanel. If you bought a control panel because you don't understand Linux, as others have said, you're in for some big surprises down the road. They do not replace system administration, they simply make life easier for us and our users. You still have to secure your server and keep applications up to date (esp the kernel) using the shell prompt.