Exim, Zendesk and Custom Mail Headers

LiNUxG0d

Jun 25, 2003
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Hey gang,

I know this will be useful for everyone once I get enough feedback from all you wonderful admins out there.

I have a customer who's running Zendesk and he wants to use a feature of theirs called "Passthrough" which requires, of all headers they could have used, the following Mail Headers when mail is coming in:

- X-Forwarded-For
- X-Envelope-To

Exim doesn't seem to support these headers and I'm wondering if there's any tweaks out there someone could turn me to, so that I may MacGyver something up.

In a related note, I know Google Mail applies these headers to mail, but, I'm wondering how we could get Exim to do it too.

I frankly think it's kind of silly to use non-standard mail headers to use their desk... weird.

Thanks in advance,

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
After trying to find any details on exim about these, there is very little information on both of these headers in reference to exim.

I would suggest posting on their mailing list after subscribing to it:

Mailing lists for Exim

Specifically, the exim-users list would be good to utilize for asking this question.

evildespot

Registered
Mar 13, 2013
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hey gang,

I know this will be useful for everyone once I get enough feedback from all you wonderful admins out there.

I have a customer who's running Zendesk and he wants to use a feature of theirs called "Passthrough" which requires, of all headers they could have used, the following Mail Headers when mail is coming in:

- X-Forwarded-For
- X-Envelope-To

Exim doesn't seem to support these headers and I'm wondering if there's any tweaks out there someone could turn me to, so that I may MacGyver something up.

In a related note, I know Google Mail applies these headers to mail, but, I'm wondering how we could get Exim to do it too.

I frankly think it's kind of silly to use non-standard mail headers to use their desk... weird.

Thanks in advance,
You want this in the relevant ROUTER (That might be system_aliases or virtual depending on how your domains and aliases are working):

headers_add = X-Forwarded-For: $h_to