The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exim4 Not Receiving/Sending mail!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by joelster, Feb 6, 2004.

1. joelster

joelster Registered

Hey there..

I am having some serious problems with my mail server. IT DOESN'T WORK. Initially, nothing worked on my server after I installed cPanel and I have been manually bringing everything up to speed (reinstalled cPanel 3 times). Now, one of the last hurdles I need to jump over is the exim MTA. The program now loads properly and (if I go through the command-line) is able to send mail to remote domains (ie, to some @yahoo.com account). However, when it comes time for exim to receive a message, it chokes. I have received "550 Relay not permitted" when I try to send mail from an email account created for my domain and "User not routeable" when I try to send an email to an address created in my domain. Whats going on here? I am running Exim4.

When I run /scripts/exim4, I get errors "Can't find distro version at ..." and "failed to get attributes of /etc/exim.crt..." (errors shortened).

Can anyone provide any assistance with this matter. I've attempted to use solutions suggested in other threads, but none of them work. Again, exim properly sends mail to remote addresses, but doesn't send mail to local emails and does not receive any mail for any user.

Thanks.

2. batchtech

batchtech Member

having the same problem...

got the same problem here...same errors too :(

3. jayh

jayh Active Member

Hi one one of our servers we are getting this same issue.
    I have tried everything here that seems to have something to do with this problem and things are still broke. Sites run, email dead.

I don't know if this is related but When I ran upcp in SSH it does its thing but has strange errors regarding moving links for every file it seems.

I don't know if this is related but when trying to install Cpanel from WHM it thinks some things are out of date and then basicly fails to install the files:
    -----
    proftpd is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    bandmin is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    chkservd is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-server is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-embedded is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-client is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-devel is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-bench is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-shared is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    MySQL-shared-compat is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    portsentry is not up to date (Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969)
    Using RPM Backend:
    pine: installed version 4.44-19.90.0 is up to date, no action needed.
    gd: installed version 1.8.4-11 is up to date, no action needed.
    gd-devel: installed version 1.8.4-11 is up to date, no action needed.
    gd-progs: installed version 1.8.4-11 is up to date, no action needed.
    expect: installed version 5.38.0-88 is up to date, no action needed.
    freetype: installed version 2.1.3-6 is up to date, no action needed.
    freetype-devel: installed version 2.1.3-6 is up to date, no action needed.
    gnupg: installed version 1.2.1-9 is up to date, no action needed.
    lynx: installed version 2.8.5-11 is up to date, no action needed.
    wget: installed version 1.8.2-9 is up to date, no action needed.
    sharutils: installed version 4.2.1-14 is up to date, no action needed.
    bind: installed version 9.2.1-16 is up to date, no action needed.
    bind-devel: installed version 9.2.1-16 is up to date, no action needed.
    bind-utils: installed version 9.2.1-16 is up to date, no action needed.
    openssl: installed version 0.9.7a-20.2 is up to date, no action needed.
    openssl-devel: installed version 0.9.7a-20.2 is up to date, no action needed.
    openssh: installed version 3.5p1-11 is up to date, no action needed.
    openssh-server: current version is 3.5p1-6, will be updated to 3.5p1-11.
    Testing connection speed...(this could take a while)....Done
    Five usable mirrors located
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/redhat/linux using wget...
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from http://mirror.cc.vt.edu/pub/redhat/redhat/linux/ using wget...
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from ftp://ftp.dc.aleron.net/pub/linux/redhat/ftp.redhat.com/linux using wget...
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from ftp://mirror.pa.msu.edu/linux/redhat/linux using wget...
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/ using wget...
    Trying to fetch openssh-server-3.5p1-11.i386.rpm from ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/redhat/linux using wget...
    ------

I am now scratching my head and the customers on this server are angry! Our other servers running RH 7.3 do not seen to be affected but this one is RH 9

I hope someone knows how to fix this.

4. jayh

jayh Active Member

I guess those errors I posted above had nothing to do the the email problems.

I relinked /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 to an older version that was in that same directory.. it looks like someone else was doing the same thing earlier according to the bash history.

Exim is now working but the same email problems persist and updating WHM/Cpanel do not help. This server can not receive emails on any account. Looking for help.

5. jayh

jayh Active Member

My update.

Now the server receives email fine but you can not send via webmail.

I getting unrouteable mail domain "aol.com" as an example

This seems to be a problem with Exim but I have not found a fix here at Cpanel.net

I have a million of these lines in the exim_paniclog

2004-03-22 03:11:45 failed to expand condition "${perl{checkspam}}" for literal router: Undefined subroutine &main::checkspam called.

I don't know what this means. Any ideas?

6. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

See if the exim.pl is located in /etc

7. jayh

jayh Active Member

Hi,

Thank you for the reply easyhoster1 the exim.pl file was missing.

The exim.pl was not there even before the issues started. I check an archive of the /etc that was made 2 weeks ago before email failed and this file was not present.

the errors I had above with the linking actually prevented any updates so a Cpanel update would not work. After fixing the Glib link problem and restarting Exim the receiving of email resumed but sending did not. At this point I everything thing seemed good with no errors except pop still showed as failed in WHM but not in SSH. This is when I ran a forced update of Cpanel Stable, updatenow and exim4 in SSH. Now the exim.pl is there.

WHM still showed failed pop but receiving worked and sending failed. I rebooted the server with my fingers crossed and tah dah! Perfecto! Well send and receive works for webmail and pop/smtp now. there still seems to be intermittent issues when sending to some domains.

That would be the problem now, it is flaky at sending. Now I believe it is most likely configuration tweaking. Cpanel really needs to get to the bottom of this in their released and stable products.

If anyone has further ways to eliminate the glitchy email issues please post them.