The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(expert?) server IP's question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miss Jacky, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Miss Jacky

Miss Jacky Well-Known Member

Hi,

The company I host my server with, are working on a 2nd line sollution (backup internet connection), but we've heard it would require that during an outage of the 1st network/internet provider, we would have access to our server via other IP's. I didn't like to hear this, because in my mind that's no serious sollution.
    BUT:
    Ís this a normal sollution? Is it possible to 'bind' certain new IP addresses on your server to your original IP addresses so all functions as normal? I would offcourse have to make sure all domains hosted on the server have extra nameservers set who point to the backup IP's, but from there on, could something like that work?

I'm thinking this is a really vague and probably stupid question, but as ever, any input is greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

jacky

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I cannot see that working. A DNS A record can only point to one IP address, so if you have to change all your customer sites from one IP address to another, you're going to have downtime of at least 24 hours for DNS propagation through the internet during which time you will likely lose emails since the old IP address won't be accessible from how you describe it.

You also can only setup the apache virtual hosts with a single IP address per ServerName, AFAIK, so you would indeed have to go through the cPanel IP migration wizard each time - which is not for the faint-hearted.

The solution is not one I've ever come across and would defintiely not see it is a network backup solution at all.

3. Miss Jacky

Chirpy,

Thanks for confirming what I thought about this being a sollution and for reminding me about some technical 'details' about the usage of IP's in a server.. I think this is clear enough now for me.. (and an IP migration for this purpose is indeed -not- an option here :))

What I'm wondering now related to this: if there is an outage on the network of the networkprovider which 'owns' the netblock your IP's are in, how you can keep your server connected then? Not possible?

Regards

4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You can have multiple IP addresses for the VirtualHosts in apache added, just add the additonal IP address into each <VirtualHost 123.123.123.123 123.123.123.124> I did this last year when we migrated to another datacenter, as we had the old IP's routed to the new network, so both IP's resolved for a while.
    The dns is another story however.
    Even with low TTl's and automated scripts to change the IP's in your dns zones if one network goes down - you would still have a degree of downtime.

Best bet would be to use something like zoneedits failover dns, as running your dns from the same network, makes what you are trying to achieve much harder as Chirpy said.
    Zoneedit have some very reasonable rates for this, you can do it yourself, but you really need the dns off of the network that you are running the servers on.

It's a complex question that there isn't really a definitive answer for.
    It depends upon your budget and exactly what you want redundancy for.

You need seperate networks for redundancy, if one network is down, it's down.

#4 DigitalN, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  5. Miss Jacky

Thanks for your post DigitalN.

I had an idea about creating a new nameserver name (ns3.ourserver.tld) with a glue record that points to an IP of the backup line, and add this nameserver as a extra nameserver for all the domains that are hosted on the server. But this would also have to be in combination with a script that changes all the A records in de dns zones on the server I suppose. (+ adding the ip's in the virtual hosts as you mentioned.)

I'm still curious in what ways other ('big'?) companies handle things as full redundancy for webhosting customers, have to do some research on this :)

regards