The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expired WHM Password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AthensMatt, Feb 10, 2017.

1. AthensMatt

AthensMatt Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, I let it happen. When changing all my server password 2 weeks ago I neglected to change my WHM password and it has expired.
    No big deal I think because I get redirected to change it. I enter my old password and double new password and get the following error: Security Policy Handling Failed.
    I think no big deal, I didn't use a strong enough password so I use the AutoGenerate. Same error: Security Policy Handling Failed.

Frustrated, I ssh into my server, switch to root and:
    export ALLOW_PASSWORD_CHANGE=1
    /scripts/chpass accountname newpassword
    warnInsecure passing of password on ARGV. Password for "accountname" has been changed.

Go back to the gui login and I get the same response, I need to change my password but when I attempt to I get the same old error. FYI, I have to use the password that I changed it to when in CL to get to the next step of required to change my password.

I still have root access via my root account. I can still ssh with my account. But cannot login the gui side with my account.

What gives??

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know the output to /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log when this happens?

Thank you.

3. AthensMatt

AthensMatt Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Code:
    [2017-02-10 13:21:03 -0500] warn [securitypolicy] Cpanel::Wrap::send_cpwrapd_request The adminbin “security” in the “Cpanel” namespace call to function “CHANGE” ended prematurely: The subprocess reported error number 5 when it ended.: namespace=[Cpanel] module=[security] function=[CHANGE]: set error in context : raw_response=[{"exit_code":1280,"version":"2.4","timeout":0,"status":1,"statusmsg":"The adminbin “security” in the “Cpanel” namespace call to function “CHANGE” ended prematurely: The subprocess reported error number 5 when it ended.","mode":"full","action":"run","data":"Invalid user: mtiffany","error":1}] at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Wrap.pm line 120, <$socket> line 1.
            Cpanel::Wrap::send_cpwrapd_request("namespace", "Cpanel", "module", "security", "function", "CHANGE", "data", HASH(0x1738e88), "env", ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ChangePasswd.pm line 213
            Cpanel::ChangePasswd::change_password(__CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Security/Policy/PasswordAge/UI/HTML.pm line 102
            Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge::UI::HTML::process(Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge::UI::HTML=HASH(0x1736b18), HASH(0xe959a8), HASH(0x168b490), HASH(0xe76d60)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/SecurityPolicy.pm line 131
            Cpanel::SecurityPolicy::process_violated_policy(Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge=HASH(0x172b790), HASH(0xe959a8), HASH(0x168b490), HASH(0xe76d60), Cpanel::Logger=HASH(0x1736938)) called at base/securitypolicy.cgi.pl line 156
            eval {...} called at base/securitypolicy.cgi.pl line 140
    [2017-02-10 13:21:03 -0500] warn [securitypolicy] Cpanel::Wrap::send_cpwrapd_request error: namespace=[Cpanel] module=[security] function=[CHANGE]: set error in context : statusmsg=[The adminbin “security” in the “Cpanel” namespace call to function “CHANGE” ended prematurely: The subprocess reported error number 5 when it ended.] at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Wrap.pm line 129, <$socket> line 1.
            Cpanel::Wrap::send_cpwrapd_request("namespace", "Cpanel", "module", "security", "function", "CHANGE", "data", HASH(0x1738e88), "env", ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ChangePasswd.pm line 213
            Cpanel::ChangePasswd::change_password(__CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, __CPANEL_HIDDEN__, ...) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Security/Policy/PasswordAge/UI/HTML.pm line 102
            Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge::UI::HTML::process(Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge::UI::HTML=HASH(0x1736b18), HASH(0xe959a8), HASH(0x168b490), HASH(0xe76d60)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/SecurityPolicy.pm line 131
            Cpanel::SecurityPolicy::process_violated_policy(Cpanel::Security::Policy::PasswordAge=HASH(0x172b790), HASH(0xe959a8), HASH(0x168b490), HASH(0xe76d60), Cpanel::Logger=HASH(0x1736938)) called at base/securitypolicy.cgi.pl line 156
            eval {...} called at base/securitypolicy.cgi.pl line 140
    Security Policy requires exec termination.
    Can't use string ("Invalid user: mtiffany") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/ChangePasswd.pm line 222.
     at base/securitypolicy.cgi.pl line 164.

#3 AthensMatt, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's possible there's a corrupted or invalid userdata file for the account referenced in the error message. Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look and verify what's happening. You can post the ticket number here and we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.