Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Extend API with Plugin

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Berenger Z, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Berenger Z

Berenger Z Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello All!

I didn't find a specific answer in the documentation of the DSK.
    I'd like to know how I could extend the WMH API to some of my custom plugin methods.
    Is there a way?

My plugin is integrated in WHM, but I'd like to be able to extend it to be able to use it through the WHM API 1. How can I register endpoints and process them?

Thank you

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Berenger Z

Berenger Z Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you! I didn't see the describe part in the hooks section, but I think it actually goes the other way for me.

An example would be:

My plugin browses all the accounts, and for each of them check the presence of a readme.txt in the public_html. If there is one, then the app parses it, and extracts a version number located in it (we have a specific architecture for our projects).
    That allows me to have, from the WHM, a quick overview at the versions present for all the accounts, and which accounts do not have such configuration.
    That code exists, and I would like to be able to call it from the WMH API 1 to get a JSON response.

Taking an example from the WMH API 1, I would like, for example, to be able to call :
    https://hostname.example.com:2087/cpsess##########/json-api/my-own-action-get-global-configurations?api.version=1&user=username

and get the JSON response using a method in my own plugin.

Is there a way I do not see in the documentation?

Thank you!

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Berenger Z

Berenger Z Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hum, I'm not sure I understand.
    - Limited to existing API functions - gotcha.
    - Custom script to run the commands - I have, and it already outputs to the UI/Panel online.

After browsing UAPI, it seems that if I break down my logic in two layer, I could do something like:
    - Get list of existing accounts using the WHM API 1,
    - For each account, use the WHM to UAPI (Use WHM API to Call cPanel API and UAPI - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation) to call a specific Module (to be created) that would carry the logic of getting the version on that specific user.

That would multiply the calls, but I should be able to rely on the API to do that. Do you agree? Or is there some restriction on that?

Thank you

6. Berenger Z

Berenger Z Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    *… that would carry the logic of getting the version on that specific user (ie, searching for a readme file, and extracting data from it if present). An UAPI Module could do that in perl, I guess.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Thank you for the additional clarification. Yes, that's actually a viable solution. We document how to create custom UAPI modules at:

UAPI - Custom UAPI Modules - Software Development Kit - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if this helps.

Thank you.