The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending mail capabilities on DNSOnly server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by studioq, Jan 6, 2015.

1. studioq

studioq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello. I was wondering about the possibility of extending the mail capabilities of a DNSOnly server. Seems to me to be an awful waste of resources to install DNS only onto a machine or a VPS and then not be able to further utilize the resources. I have two VPS instances and one bare metal instance of DNS Only. I'd like to set one of them up to be a backup MTA in the event the main server goes down.

I noticed during the install that DNS Only removed Postfix - in light of Exim - I get that. But does that mean that something Like Dovecot can't be installed without messing up the server? I know cPanel servers are quite easy to mess up if you don't stick with the proper RPMs..

Ultimately - I'd like to know what other features can be added to a server hosting DNS Only - without messing with the core system.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can install third-party applications such as Dovecot, but keep in mind that you won't be able to integrate it with WHM. DNS-Only is designed for DNS purposes only, so you may want to consider a full cPanel license if you prefer to utilize additional functionality.

Thank you.

3. studioq

studioq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok - The DNS-Only portion is doing it's job just fine as part of a cluster for my licensed server. I'm just not of the thought that the install of DNS-Only on another server should render the rest of the server unusable. I also didn't want to bring conflicts into the DNS-Only install.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are welcome to install additional services on the cPanel DNS-Only server, but keep in mind the integration of those additional services is not supported.

Thank you.

5. studioq

studioq Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I appreciate it - and I understand the support limitations.