The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External DNS Servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tier2, Dec 24, 2010.

1. tier2

tier2 Member
    PartnerNOC

We use Nettica right now for hosting our DNS configuration. Is there any way I can configure CPanel to update Nettica instead of updating the local name servers.

I saw a really old post about setting up the remote (nettica) name servers as secondary name servers and having them updated by Bind that way. Then just setting the remote (nettica) name servers as the name servers at the domain name registrar.

Any information or pointers to the right location for answer is greatly appreciated.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

No, you cannot update the DNS records on Nettica servers from cPanel since they are not in cluster. You will have to update them manually by logging into their panel. Why don't you purchase an additional server ( a small VPS will do) at a different provider to host DNS and then setup your server and the DNS server in cluster so the records will be updated their when changed from the hosting server.

3. tier2

tier2 Member
    PartnerNOC

Nettica has an API available to make changes to the DNS records. There must be some way to customize CPanel to update the Nettica servers. I guess I need to start reading up on the developers documentation.

Purchasing a VPS and configuring everything that way would be one solution, but I have clients who have external exchange hosting and their email is of extreme importance. I have had issues in the past with dns failures that I would rather not deal with in the future. Redundancy is extremely important to me. A couple of kids playing the DDoS game can easily handle two servers and knock them out. Five geographically dispersed dns server clusters can easily handle a DDoS attack and not cause all of my clients to go down.

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    DNS servers aren't the target of a DDoS attack, that'd be the web/script servers, and most of those 'DDOS attacks' are because of poor code, nothing more.
    Nobody cares whether your 'DNS server' is attacked, in fact, most people won't even BOTHER with your DNS server.